Latest Wii Update - End Of Mods?

Haz

Nintendo Encyclopedia
Nov 22, 2006
England, UK
Did anyone else notice that on the last Wii Update that it said that all updates from now on would be done when (and if needed) a Wii Disc was inserted into the console.

So surely this means Nintendo will be releasing games that require the machine to be updated via the disc, a process we are told will be automatic.

As we know, Wii Updates + WiiMods = Dead Wii.

So does this merger of Game Disc and Wii Update mean that people who have a modded Wii won't be able to play the new games?!...

In the sense that 1) they don't want to kill their Wii by doing the update. 2) An update is needed for the game to play.

Food for thought.
-Haz

I might just sound like an idiot here but on the psp it tells you that you need a FW update to play a game, but if you have custom firmware it can play them all anyways, maybe that can happen with the wii once they get further with the mods?

yeah, like tloztw said, i think people are going to find a way around it. just like the cheesiest quote ever; if theres a will, theres a way..

there'd be a a way around it some hacker just has to see how the disks do the automatic update then find a way to disable it

did it not just say that it would tell you if you needed an update for the game on the disc channel from the main menu, im sure thats what it said.

i mean if they release a new channel they need updates hows that gonna work otherwise?

and an update that improve wii performance.
what about people who buy games once a year and never get round to buyin g the game with the update? im sure they still do the updates througe wi-fi

I don't get it. What do Wii mods even do? From what I understand, the only terribly interesting mods on other consoles are those that allow you to simply download games to the HDD. But without a HDD, what's the purpose of mods on the Wii? A region-less Wii mod? Who cares? What's the purpose of that? To play Japanese games a few days/weeks/month before they hit the US? Then I'm stuck with a game in Japanese. I could see the purpose for PAL gamers, but even you guys don't get games much later than those in the US. It hardly seems worth modding your Wii over.

Anyway, I'm all down for it. Anything that cuts out the potential for online hackers is great in my books.

Nintendo has been putting updates on discs since Super Paper Mario. Every major release has had them: Metroid, Mario Galaxy, probably SSBB. The reason people mod their wii is to be able to play burned games downloaded from the internet. There's something called brickblocker that removes or disables the update from running.

nEW wII ARE OUT IN JAPAN RIGHT NOW THAT MAKE IT VERY HARD TO HARD MOD THEM.

Oh sorry about the caps my neck hurts!

WiitnessID said:
nEW wII ARE OUT IN JAPAN RIGHT NOW THAT MAKE IT VERY HARD TO HARD MOD THEM.

Oh sorry about the caps my neck hurts!
There have already been three different Wiis manufactured, both after the initial Wii shipped attempted to making modding impossible.
The second version made modding harder, and the third version made conventional modding (ie. Wiikey) impossible, but alas, D2CKey and D2CPro were developed specifically for those Wiis (the ones shipped after August 1st 2007). So there will just be a new mod developed for this new Wii xD.

Celeste said:
There have already been three different Wiis manufactured, both after the initial Wii shipped attempted to making modding impossible.
The second version made modding harder, and the third version made conventional modding (ie. Wiikey) impossible, but alas, D2CKey and D2CPro were developed specifically for those Wiis (the ones shipped after August 1st 2007). So there will just be a new mod developed for this new Wii xD.

I'll find the link some time this week. They actually removed some of the stuff on the board so you have nothing to solder to.

Back