Maya (software)

surfinrach90

I GOT A JAR OF DIRT.
Dec 27, 2006
Just wondering really if any one uses this, or ever has?

Maya is a high-end 3D computer graphics and 3D modeling software package originally developed by Alias Systems Corporation, but now owned by Autodesk as part of the Media and Entertainment division. Maya is used in the film and TV industry, as well as for computer and video games.

Reason for asking, there's an International Animation, Games and SFX Conference in my local city and I'm attending a workshop for one of the days. In the work shop we're there's going to be two guys showing us how to do some stuff on this software.

These two guys have worked on the following projects:
British Airways - Ease
Ford - Birds
Hiscox - Cats
BBC - Walking with Dinosaurs
Xbox - Mosquito
Johnnie Walker - Fish
Audi - Fish
Die Another Day
Volvic - Jog
And the brand new Chemical Brothers video

Sadly the day of this workshop is on the day of the Games conferences and there's a guy from EA games going there to talk about their new stuff =/ On the website it says 'This is an essential presentation for anyone interested in a career in entertainment and where the gaming industry is heading.' Which makes me even more gutted I missed it.

Here's the website about the conference if anyone's interested.

Maya is good stuff. Been around for ages.

Blender is coming along nicely too, you should check it out. I have it on this PC (FreeBSD), for shits and giggles. I don't actually have reason to use it for anything. :D

Lol cool so, you've used it?

Is it good? Easy, hard etc?

I've toyed with Blender it for a few brief moments. I've never used Maya, I am just familiar with it as it is a big name well known in the industry. So I read/hear about it all the time.

Back