Microsoft Xbox 360 HD DVD Player Officially Discontinued

manred

Animal Collective
Dec 30, 2007
Wherever Fate Takes Me
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
It was only a matter of time before Microsoft officially discontinued manufacturing the Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on, but it took them a few days longer than we expected. Their statement is finally out, and it signals Microsoft's official withdraw from HD DVD on the console front.

The good news is that they'll still continue to support and repair your player based on the standard warranty, but chances are you'll get little future use out of that player now that no movies will be made for it. What's still unclear is whether there will ever be a Blu-ray add-on to the 360 that's cheap enough to sell the Xbox + Blu-ray package at a comparable price to the PS3 ($399ish). We're guessing that something along these lines will hit within the year.

Source

R.I.P. HD.

yeah blu-rays been announced for the 360 and im so happy it won because if hd-dvd won and blu-ray was out id be pissed taht id have to buy an hd dvd player and my ps3's blu-ray would eventually be obselete.

I doubt they can release a Blu-ray that will beat the price of $399 when combined with the 360. Because Blu-rays are not that cheap and the 360 isn't going to get some insanely huge price cut.

FYI, they've dropped the price to $49.00 - it's available on Best Boob (store or direct). The 5 free discs offer is for purchases up to Feb 28th (then it has to be postmarked by March 31st).

5 discs at $10 each plus a free drive (that's also PC compatible) is almost tempting :D

Back