mii channel system files corrupted?

simon_hed

WiiChat Member
May 6, 2007
Whenever we try to start the mii channel, we get a black screen with white text saying ' mii channel system files are corrupted. Please refer to the wii operations manual for help troubleshooting. Press the A button to return to the wii menu '. This started about a week after the system was new, and has been this way for weeks.

It apparently doesn't affect gameplay, we just can't do anything as far as miis.

If this is the wrong forum for this, I apologize in advance. Thanks for any ideas.

I'd suggest you to format the console, if that doesn't work call Nintendo, they'll probably send you a new one. Can't think of anything else...

EDIT: Yeah, you should check the manual first, but I read all of it when I got my wii and I don't remember anything about your problem.

Last edited:
simon_hed said:
Whenever we try to start the mii channel, we get a black screen with white text saying ' mii channel system files are corrupted. Please refer to the wii operations manual for help troubleshooting. Press the A button to return to the wii menu '. This started about a week after the system was new, and has been this way for weeks.

It apparently doesn't affect gameplay, we just can't do anything as far as miis.

If this is the wrong forum for this, I apologize in advance. Thanks for any ideas.

If I were you, i'd do exactly what the message told you. Unfortuneatly, I had some problems as well with my Wii, and I turned to the Wii Operations Manual countless times for help. When you buy consoles, you should never throw away the manuals that come with it, as they will come in handy when something is wrong. I was so happy about my Wii, I even kept the box as my bragging rights to my friends...So yeah, if you're like I used to be..you would rip open the Wii's box and scavenge for all the Wii's pieces and cables....So if you don't have the manual...Do what the person above me told you to do.

simon_hed said:

Who's We?

Yeah, like mentioned above I do recommend that you check the manual first. If that doesn't help, then try re-formatting the console to see if you can solve the problem. But if the problem persists after re-formatting, I would advice that you contact Nintendo.

To be safe make sure you back up all your data on a SD card. A cheap one is less than $20. At some point it'll be almost mandatory to buy a SD card once you max out your Wii drive.

brainiac said:
Who's We?

'We' actually consists of my ten year old son and the mouse in his pocket.

I know very little about this thing. Hopefully 'format the console' isn't some trap for noobs that you guys try to see how stupid they are. Kind of like 'format c: /s' used to get rid of various errors back in the day on computers.

(That's DOSspeak for you folks under 35)

Anyway, I am a firm adherrent to the RTFM principle. I am pretty sure the FM doesn't refer to this error. I have briefly looked and didn't see anything regarding this. I will look again.

Thanks again.

follow-up. We formatted the console and we are still getting the same error. Which sucks because before at least he could use the miis that had been created previous, now he is stuck with the builtin ones.

I tried calling support, but got the 'we are too busy' message, so I sent them an email.

Sounds like we have the only wii in the world doing this. I can't find anything regarding this error/condition.

Another update. We finally got in touch with support last night. The guy was very helpful, and I could even understand him. He said they have *never* seen this error. They are replacing the unit, and said we should have it next week. The whole process took maybe 15 minutes.

Excellent service overall.

simon_hed said:
Another update. We finally got in touch with support last night. The guy was very helpful, and I could even understand him. He said they have *never* seen this error. They are replacing the unit, and said we should have it next week. The whole process took maybe 15 minutes.

Excellent service overall.

Good to hear your problems sorted! :thumbsup:

Back