My hunt for the Wii (success story :-D)

LordVance

WiiChat Member
Nov 6, 2006
Well, its winding down and the family is all in bed for the night, I just finished up a few extra rounds of boxing. Came back here to lurk the forums a bit more and figured I should share my Wii Hunt story ;-)

To give a little background; I am 19, could easily afford the Wii myself. However, my mother (a nurse, very happy with the Trauma Center game) actually managed to get extremely excited about the system and ended up paying 1/2 of our total expenses at the store. So, Sunday comes along and shes in bed sleeping, my girlfriend and I are sitting up playing World of Warcraft. 2AM rolls around and I start to get nervous, figure I would rather wait in line a few extra hours (we were planning on leaving around 5-6) than not get one.

I make my girlfriend get her coat on and head out the door to Walmart. See a few old friends from high school waiting as well, we were 24th on the list. Knocked over some shopping carts and played some soccer for about 15 minutes before the electronics manager comes out to announce they only have 20 Wii's :-( So I hopped in left Jenna at Walmart and headed for Target, 30ish people already waiting, left there and headed for the Toy's-R-Us, my last resort. I get there and I'm 10th in line! The manager is outside talking with everyone (he even brought us some donuts). I ask how many hes got, he says "We have 80 to cover our pre-orderes, and another 80 for everyone waiting in line. I was shocked, everywhere else had huge lines and no Wii's - Toys R Us as no line and a ton of Wii's. So I called Jenna to let her know, and called my Mom to wake her butt up (she picked up Jenna at Walmart and came to sleep in the Van in front of Toys R Us). 10AM rolled around and we were in the first group to enter the store and buy our Wii (they let us in 15 minutes at a time).

One funny anecdote though. When we got there a mom and her crazy son were first in line. They started a list to keep things organized and let people go sleep in their cars without losing their spot in the line. Seemed like a good idea, and it worked well enough, nobody lost their spot in the top 25 or so. However, at 8ish in the morning she started going crazy telling everyone to "GET IN THEIR SPOTS!!!" 8:30 rolls around and the manager comes out to start handing out the tickets. Her friend had just left to go grab some coffee and shes sitting there explaining to the manager how she needs two tickets because her friends on the list. The guy says flat out "While the list is a good idea, we cannot go by it. We will be handing out the vouchers to whoever is currently standing in line, in whatever order they currently are"

This crazy lady was acting like she was going to knock the managers block off for doing his job. Spouting how her friends not going to "lose out on the Wii for her kids because some minimum-wage **** with a power trip and some pieces of paper didnt want to follow MY list."

I died laughing, her son was so embarassed. When me and a buddy of mine started laughing out loud hystarically she threated to "throw us out of the line" and the manager actually asked her to wait in her car, and assured her if she returned to the front of the line at 9:50 she would be the first one in the store.

I guess you had to be there....but it was hysterical, and this lady was CRAZY :-D

The same thing happened to me, I got up sunday at about 5:30am I didnt think I would get a wii, but I decided to just drive by a few places to see how the lines were. I got in my car and went by, best buy, huge line, target, huge line, then toys r us, 1 person so its 6:15am and I am second in line for a wii on launch morning. Waited till anout 7:30am then the manager came out and said she was going to start to let people in, so a small group was let in, me included and there were about 30 people out there by now and they only had 22 after preordes. So I just wanted to say that toys r us rocks, and I got luckey.

Sounds like Toys R Us rocks :)
I would probably be embarassed too if I were her son :sad:
lol

Your mom doesnt love you.....
And not to change the subject but about your sig, how can a crocodile be the ruler of monkeys ?:crazy:

Nice story :)
I hope i have a success story sometime before xmas, I really want a wii now. I didnt have the guts to stay in line all day on release date because I live in new york and it was VERY crowded (not as bad as the ps3 riots in front of bestbuy) i dont even know how many people were there but i do know there wasn't going to be one left for me :( I'm going to search around this week eventhough it will probably be hectic.

lol thats pretty lucky man. I pissed some people off to with my purchase. I showed up at Best Buy at 8:35am. Store opens at 9am. Best Buy had 60 Wiis and there were 60 people with tickets already. Tents were lined up because they were sleeping there since the day before. Well I am there for no longer than 1min when I pulled out $200 and said "Who wants to make a quick $200!?" The 28 spot stepped out and gave me his ticket. Somebody behind me yells out "So how long you been waiting in line?" I yell back "About 1 min and you?" Luckily I am a pretty big guy lol.

Lethal said:
lol thats pretty lucky man. I pissed some people off to with my purchase. I showed up at Best Buy at 8:35am. Store opens at 9am. Best Buy had 60 Wiis and there were 60 people with tickets already. Tents were lined up because they were sleeping there since the day before. Well I am there for no longer than 1min when I pulled out $200 and said "Who wants to make a quick $200!?" The 28 spot stepped out and gave me his ticket. Somebody behind me yells out "So how long you been waiting in line?" I yell back "About 1 min and you?" Luckily I am a pretty big guy lol.
:) good job, but i bet that $200 for a spot was a good hard bite in the a55

Back