New 40GB PS3???

Wh15ky

WiiChat Member
Sep 28, 2007
OK! so after much deliberation I am deciding to keep my Wii (instead of trading it in for a PS3). However I do still intend on owning a PS3 one day aswell, but can someone explain to me the benefits of the new model.

Here are the facts as I understand them:

1. The new 40GB model has (obviously) 20 GB less memory than the 60GB model.
2. The new model has only 2 USB ports to the 60GB 4 USB ports.
3. The new model is not backwards compatible (the 60GB is).
4. The new model with one controller costs £299.99 or with 2 games costs £349.97. A 60GB model costs £349.95 with 2 games.
These prices are from Argos, but as far as I can tell they are pretty standard for UK retailers.

So based on those facts why on earth would anyone in their right minds opt for the lower spec "new" model. I'm very confused!

Last edited:
Unless you have seen a specific advert in the papers etc for a special deal, the prices on the Argos website are 40gb £299.99, 60gb £349.97, both without games. . . . . It does seem like a bit of a no-brainer though. Why pay £50 less for a machine that does so much less? I guess it is a psychological thing, dropping the price below the £300 barrier.

These prices have been in some newspapers for the last few days. The first thing you see is the big £299.99 next to PS3. So it is obviously just all down to marketing. As soon as you start reading the smaller print it just becomes baffling! Just silly, I could have come up eith a better marketing scheme.

Personally, I think it's a case of Sony wanting to drop the price, because nobody is buying it, but making sure it's still not too much of a loss.

Oh, and the lack of backwards compatibility is probably because they want to artificially extend the lifespan of the PS2 because it's selling (relatively) well.

In the USA you can still buy the 20gb for $450. I recommend the 60gb since the PS3 has 1gb sized game demos, 20gb just may not be enough in the future. Sony wants you to buy the 40gb, but don't be fooled, the 20-80gb will be available to buy for at least another 2 years. Sony made millions of those units, and this goes for the PS2 as well, you can find these units and buy them easily. There are simply that many out there.

http://www.ebgames.com/productmerch.asp?groupid=635

Last edited:
Back