New Mod Chip-Solderless!

f1982

WiiChat Member
Feb 20, 2007
A new mod chip is soon to be released.
Only this time its a solderless version.
Heres the news:
http://hackawii.com/easy-solder-wii-mod-chip/
13087-wiifree-first-solderless-mod-v2.jpg

True.
The advantage of these is that-firstly, you dont have any worries about soldering. (obviously!). But more to the point, if something did go wrong, and you took your case off carefully, you could simply take the chip off and there would be NO trace that you had even had one there when nintendo get their hands on it for a repair.
The only problem with these solderless chips (as seen from the xbox) is that they have a habit of coming loose after time and on rare occasion can short something out in the unit, turning it into a brick. But hey, if you use your head and make sure its SECURELY fixed down, then theres no problems.
Im really looking forward to this. I was going to get a wiikey, but now i'll just wait for one of these.

f1982 said:
True.
The advantage of these is that-firstly, you dont have any worries about soldering. (obviously!). But more to the point, if something did go wrong, and you took your case off carefully, you could simply take the chip off and there would be NO trace that you had even had one there when nintendo get their hands on it for a repair.
The only problem with these solderless chips (as seen from the xbox) is that they have a habit of coming loose after time and on rare occasion can short something out in the unit, turning it into a brick. But hey, if you use your head and make sure its SECURELY fixed down, then theres no problems.
Im really looking forward to this. I was going to get a wiikey, but now i'll just wait for one of these.
But don't they have some way of telling if it has been opened? I know the PS2s had a sticker that had writing that said do not remove and if air touched the back of it then the writing changed to warranty void or something similar. I'm sure the Wii has something similar in place.

Actually...no.
There is no void sticker or anything like that on the wii.
All you have to do to make sure nintendo dont know you've opened it is to take great care in doing so as to not make any scratches.
And even if they were to say-'this unit has been opened', (which they wouldnt anyway because there is no trace of a mod chip,but if they did) just say a disc got stuck and you had to open the unit to release it. This i have heard satisfies them- and this was used by people who had installed a soldered mod chip and later removed it.

paintba||er said:

But don't they have some way of telling if it has been opened? I know the PS2s had a sticker that had writing that said do not remove and if air touched the back of it then the writing changed to warranty void or something similar. I'm sure the Wii has something similar in place.

A friend of mine used the black night case mod - a total exterior refit - and I can confirm that there was not a single warranty sticker anywhere on/in the wii.....

Wow, thats surprising. I guess I probably will get one of these when they are released then. Though I would much prefer a softmod. Also, I doubt telling them you opened it to get a disk out would matter as it doesn't change the fact that opening the case voids the warranty.

paintba||er said:
Wow, thats surprising. I guess I probably will get one of these when they are released then. Though I would much prefer a softmod. Also, I doubt telling them you opened it to get a disk out would matter as it doesn't change the fact that opening the case voids the warranty.

You're right. Opening the case does void warranty. But IF they were to say, we know this case has been opened because you were silly enough to leave a evidence that you did, many people have said that using the 'stuck disc' excuse works fine.

Wiikey is easy to solder, one can do it in about 1 min. I rather have a solid connection than flimsy connection.

Off topic but I'd love hard drive attachment for the Wii and someone to come up with a way to play games off the hard drive through a Wii Channel specifically created for it...

Pay for it to be professionally installed. That's what I did. You may even find some places guarantee their work for 90 days to a years time.

Can anyone please remind me what the point of a modchip is again???

You can't copy games and play them even if you have a chip right?

How the heck does it work ?
How do you connect it

<<Fed up waiting for games so this will mean I will have imports and a less dusty wii

Back