Nintendo In 2008

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
Welcome to VideoGamer.com's Visionary Top 5 series. 2007 has been an amazing year for gamers - some say the best ever. Will 2008 be able to match it? VideoGamer.com gazed into the crystal ball to find out what gaming's greatest minds have in store for us next year. Today we predict what Nintendo will be blessing us with in 2008... Merry Christmas!

Nintendo's big first-party Christmas 2008 title will be... Donkey Kong

That's right. We said Donkey Kong. And we're not talking about some rubbish mini-game led title either. We're talking about a fully fledged Donkey Kong title - a true sequel to the last proper Donkey Kong on N64. Of course it won't be made by Rare, who are currently owned by Microsoft. So perhaps Nintendo could keep this one in house. But what's clear is that Nintendo needs some gamers' games for next year, like 2007's Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. And we here at VideoGamer.com reckon it'll be a Donkey Kong Xmas 2008.

Wii Sports 2 will come out in September 2008

Although Wii Sports automatically comes bundled with Nintendo's massively successful motion-sensing console, that doesn't mean it's a pile of rubbish. It actually secured top spot in our Top 10: Family Games buyer's guide for Christmas and New Year. But we reckon Wii-owners might be getting a little tired of the same old bowling/tennis/boxing come Q4 next year, which is perfect timing for Nintendo to release a sequel. It'll have upgraded graphics (not too upgraded mind!) as well as some new sports to Wrap your Wii Remote around, but essentially it will be the same old Wii Sports with icing on top.

Wii Fit will come out in the UK to coincide with the Olympic Games in Beijing

Wii Fit was nowhere to be seen in Nintendo's recent Q1/Q2 2008 release schedule, so we can make an educated prediction that it won't be out till at least the end of June, which ties in nicely with the Beijing 2008 Olympics, scheduled to kick off in August. Expect ex-Record Breakers presenters Kriss Akabusi and Cheryl Baker going up against celebrity comedy couple Dawn French and Lenny Henry in a Wii Fit face off in a TV advert campaign, too. Genius.

Nintendo will make some megaton announcements at E3 2008

Don't expect much! But we reckon Nintendo will use E3, the industry annual showcase for new game announcements, to give us the first fledging titbits on their next Zelda game. So let's say a teaser trailer - dark, with some music and some text, which ends with a picture of Link looking somehow different. Then Shigeru Miyamoto comes running out holding a Wii Remote, does a forward roll, then waves it around on stage making the chink noise when swords clash in Zelda. He will then run off in an attempt to escape the Nintendo fanboy zombie horde. Nintendo will then be declared winners of E3, despite offering up zero information about the game.

Source:
http://www.videogamer.com/features/article/28-12-2007-233.html

Simply speculation, but things some haven't touch on overly here.
Also, the 5th thing was the Wii still being hard to find by next Christmas.

A new Donkey Kong would be absolutely amazing! But, I don't know what grounds they are predicting that on. (Unless Retro's working on a DK game)

*Ponders*

The rest I think are obvious predictions though. I'm actually pretty pumped for next year. Hopefully no delay for Mario Kart.

I don't like this.

The Donkey Kong prediction is just stupid imo. A donkey kong game was just released, and if Nintendo was going to make a Donkey Kong game why haven't they until now? They had plenty of time.

WiiSports and WiiFit are givens, AND YOU SAY THERES GOING TO BE A BIG ANNOUNCEMENT AT E3!? YOU MUST BE JOKING!

Well, a DK game is a definitely plausible. And if you look at it, Retro could easily be developing it.

Remember Retro is working on a new project and Matt C. confirmed in a podcast that they were bringing back an old franchise. And of course people jumped to Kid Icarus and I personally though Project Hammer even had an outside chance.

Well, what if he was "sort of" throwing us off. I mean DK games have continued to be made well since DK64, but the true platformer hasn't been around since. So, in a way they'd be "bringing back an old franchise". But people wouldn't have thought as Donkey Kong standing a chance.

I think the game could still very well be a Donkey Kong title..

(Even though there are a lot better options out there)

I had never heard that before, and I personally love what Retro did with the Metroid series.

Thanks for that, I'm looking forward to any game they decide to bring back.

Yeah, people tend to have mixed feelings about DK64. I personally loved it. I would go as far as saying that it is in my top ten games of all time. That's why I'd pretty pumped for a true sequel to 64.

I'd really prefer a side-scrolling one.

I've never seen a side-scrolling game with amazing graphics, and I don't really see why it shouldn't be done. Remake DK Country 1, 2 and 3 onto one disk on the wii? Best seller in no time.

Finally, a Donkey Kong game in the making, and I'm not counting that Donkey Kong Barrel Blast junk. Hopefully it will be a nice followup to Donkey Kong 64.

nic7 said:
Yeah, people tend to have mixed feelings about DK64. I personally loved it. I would go as far as saying that it is in my top ten games of all time. That's why I'd pretty pumped for a true sequel to 64.
really? i like the side scrolling ones like LIK. I thought DK64 wasn't viewed as a success. I guess i wouldn't mind it as long as i get a side-scroller on the ds or something.

Yeah, on average the side scrolling versions are much more loved, but Donkey Kong 64 was still liked by a lot of people.

It actually didn't get horrible reviews either:

Link

Last edited:
As long as they launch Brawl and Mario Kart Wii I'll be set. No monthly fee, hell yeah!

Back