nintendo still winning

largedarry said:
If I'm not mistaken, I haven't seen an offline 4-player split screen since the days of Golden Eye and Perfect Dark. Do correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm really sure none of the CODs, MOHs, Halos, etc. have offline 4-player split screen.

Medal of Honor: Vanguard does...

COD 2 + 3 on consoles other than the Wii had 4 player split screen. Before that it was a PC exclusive series so no offline splitscreen there.

Halo 1 + 2 both had 4 player offline split screen, halo one was not even online enabled, except for a map pack update.

Metal of Honor - all installments on the ps1 (first 4 games? definately at least 2) had 4 player split screen, as well as the first few on the ps2, not sure exactly which though.

But yes it is becoming more common, or rather less unheard of, to skip offline multiplayer. However it is my experience that most gamers tend to considerate a nice feature, and although unnecessary, strictly speaking, still appreciated. Off course I have had very little exposure to various gaming communities other than my own, so that's probably entirely inaccurate.

Numbers aren't surprising really, aside from the fact that the Wii totally kicks ass, it appeals more to the casual and even previously non gaming audience and market with its intuitive controls and attractive price tag. (Off course I'm stating the obvious here, but for any ghost readers or people new to gaming who haven't seen it in the other 45 octillion places it has been posted)

It would seem however that the Wii doesn't due as well in the hardcore market, but as I've never seen any actual data to back that up, it probably just seems that way.

PS: yes octillion is a real number.
Million, Billion, Trillion, Quadrillion, Quintillion, Sextillion, Septillion, Octillion, Nonillion, Decillion, Undecillion, Duodecillion, Tredecillion, Quattuordecillion, Quinquadecillion, Sexdecillion, Septendecillion, Octodecillion, Novemdecillion, Vigintillion, Googol (a 1 followed by 100 Zeroes), Centillion, Googolplex (a 1 followed by a Googol of zeroes)

Of course this is the Short Scale (U.S.A. and Modern British) way of counting and completely disregards numbers such as billiard, and trilliard. And I'm so much of a geek that I knew Million - Octillion, Googol and Googolplex without looking it up. I hate math, and I learned to count to octillion in 4th grade. Yes I'm serious, my teacher was tough. (of coarse we didn't have to count every single number between 1 - octillion, we just did million, billion, trillion, ect...

Just since I already hijacked this thread heres some trivia, a googolplex is so large that to write it down would take more space than is available in the known universe. And that's in a font so small it's unreadable by human eyes.

though mohh2 may not have split screen, it does have a kick ass online mode even though it lacks voice chat. pretty good considering its wiis first online fps.anyone agree. i think splitscreen was just a fad.

What do you mean by fad? If you mean a trend that didn't really provide a different experience but that was incorporated into lots of games because of hype, than I would have to disagree. It was the only available pvp gaming format on a console before consoles went online.

Yes, I do agree that MoHH2 has a fun online mode, although the lack of voice chat is disappointing on the developer and Nintendo's part. The controls are also some of the most intuitive I have experienced for the Wii, even better than MP3:C.

Edit: PS: The Doors rock. All hail the lizars king!

Pazas said:
What do you mean by fad? If you mean a trend that didn't really provide a different experience but that was incorporated into lots of games because of hype, than I would have to disagree. It was the only available pvp gaming format on a console before consoles went online.

Yes, I do agree that MoHH2 has a fun online mode, although the lack of voice chat is disappointing on the developer and Nintendo's part. The controls are also some of the most intuitive I have experienced for the Wii, even better than MP3:C.

Edit: PS: The Doors rock. All hail the lizars king!

yeah by fad i mean that it was prominent in games that didnt have a good online like goldeneye64. the controls do rock for mohh2. riders on the storm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back