Nintendo Wii to you're favorite display, I found it!!!

hms_84

WiiChat Member
Feb 17, 2007
Saudi Arabia, RY
Hello everyone , I was searching for a way to get my 20 inch Apple Cinema Display to my Wii or X360 or PS3, so from another thread I found some one used EyeTV which is great , but lacks of 480p Support, or X360's & PS3's 1080p,
so I just discovered something GREAT !!!!
The Gefen HD Mate Scaler !!!
yes Gefen did it again with this great product ,,,
it allows you to upscale and switch your standard definition or high definition component sources to resolutions up to 1080p. Anything from set-top boxes, DVD players to the next generation of gaming consoles including the Xbox 360 and PS3 can be plugged into the HD Mate Scaler.

The HD Mate Scaler supports two component sources and one DVI source all with digital TOSlink and analog audio inputs. The analog audio inputs will be outputted as analog audio and the digital TOSlink audio inputs will be outputted as digital TOSlink audio.

Easy to use on-screen menus accessible through the IR remote control allow for effortless setup and image adjustment to accommodate different viewing modes and screen sizes.

hd_mate_front.jpg

hd_mate_back.jpg

Source ,
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4173#buy

I dont get it. If you plug your wii into this it makes the resolution go from 480p to 1080p?

No you will still need a TV that supports the resolution.

In my opinion you can spend your money better by purchasing a supply of Charmin 2-ply.

Hay Everyone thanx for replay,
This will convert any resolution to you're screen's optimum resolution, but I think it'll stretch it to fit you're screen, I'm not sure yet.

I don't have HDTV, and I can't get one at least for the next year
why not trying to use my 20-inch Apple Cinema Display,

This this is still Pre-Order , I'll get mine very soon
Shipping Date, UnKnown ??!!

and this is not my first time to buy Gefen Product, I did buy a VGA to DVI converter before, and It was a great product

Huh, I think you'd get jaggies...
Just like when you stretch a tiny picture and try to put it as your desktop wallpaper...
Check back and post when you get one though. :D

How Upconverters Work

It's a video upscaler/upconverter, in essence, it upscales low resolution format video into higher resolution video by adding in extra pixels with close color approximation (not necessarily just stretching the 480i picture to 720p or 1080i/p, majority of HDTV sets can do that already) as well as de-interlacing interlaced video.

All HDTV broadcasters (local and cable/satellite/IPTV) use commercial grade upconverters to make low resolution programming look noticeably better on their digital channels before it reaches HDTV sets or digital cable/satellite set top boxes. That's (partially) why standard definition programming on a digital feed of a channel looks better than the analog one.

As for how good these machines can make the "jaggies" or pixelation from images go away or make them less noticeable, it all varies between different makes and models and what filter methods the devices uses. I'm not too familiar with brands and models or the devices themselves but I am familiar with some methods used in upconverting video. The good ones are the ones that can detect hard jagged edges of characters/objects in the video and soften them up, kind of like anti-aliasing for 2D images. For all of you Photoshop users out there, its similar to the Smart Blur filter.

The problems with these upconverter devices when used with games is that the filters in the upconversion can be computationally complex and take some time in applying all of those nice eye candy filters. Which in turn causes visual lag in the actual gameplay. If you were playing an FPS, you could be dead before the device actually sends the image of you dying in agony on screen.

I hope my explanation shed some light into what that lil box actually does.

Last edited:
The problems with these upconverter devices when used with games is that the filters in the upconversion can be computationally complex and take some time in applying all of those nice eye candy filters. Which in turn causes visual lag in the actual gameplay. If you were playing an FPS, you could be dead before the device actually sends the image of you dying in agony on screen.

thanx for the info, but I don't think it will lag
will first of all this thing is made for games, check out there web site it says use you're PS3 or X360, so defiantly no lagging.
I'll preorder it soon, and I'll update you guys with a new thread when I get it.
I'll post my personal review.

Back