not a repeat question

williamset

WiiChat Member
Apr 9, 2007
I have a linksys wireless b router. It is using WEP encryption and I have successfully been able to get my Wii to connect to it many times. However, once my wii connects (and also when it's in standby) it screws with anything else connected to the router.

Often, once my wii connects, no other computer in the house can start a connection with the router (if the computer was previously connected, it is able to maintain the connection).

Can anyone please help? The Wii is preventing any other connections from being made to the router.

Thanks in advance

first try changing to router channel and set your computer to the primary ip address then the wii secondary. Note: i am not possibly sure this will work but anything is worth a try! ;)

Rep me if this helps!

Be more specific on what the other computers can do. Are they loosing link? Are you unable to renew DHCP? Can you ping the router? Can you ping its external interface? If you unplug the Wii while the problem is happening do the broken machines start to work?

computers are loosing their IP address. They will still remaining connected to the router's network, but I'll get that yellow exclamation point over the network icon saying that I have limited connectivity.

Going to try the static IP thing tonight. That's the only suggestion I haven't tried yet.

I am not familiar with lease time. Can you please explain?

Thanks so much for the help!

Lease time is how long the address configured by DHCP is valid before the system has to ask for "permission" to use it again. If your connection isnt dropping then the only reason to lose the IP is the lease time expiring and the router is not replying to the renewal request.

Even if the lease time is still valid the machine would check if the IP is in use and only use it if there is no other machine on the network using the same IP.

To check if its a duplicate ip run ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew on your pc. This will release the DHCP address and get a new one from the DHCP server on your PC.

Static IP is much easier as you know which machine is on which address. Also you can put your wii in a DMZ on your router if you have any online trouble playing games etc

An IP address conflict wouldnt show the "limited connectivity" error message. Unless he has multiple DHCP servers it shouldnt be possible to get a conflict unless he configured a client for a static address within the DHCP range. The DHCPOFFER reply includes the MAC address of the client that sent the discover packets.

ciper said:
An IP address conflict wouldnt show the "limited connectivity" error message. Unless he has multiple DHCP servers it shouldnt be possible to get a conflict unless he configured a client for a static address within the DHCP range. The DHCPOFFER reply includes the MAC address of the client that sent the discover packets.

The limited connectivity could indicate an IP address address conflict as the adapter would have a 169.x.x.x address. This would either be due to a static IP on the PC or multiple DHCP servers. Running ipconfig /all when the PC is working and not working would confirm this

Back