Not that important, but...

Nintendo Wii has a nice ring to it. I have actually heard people use both terms. I've even heard people call the 360, the Xbox 360. Not one of the 3 consoles has a really good name. Let this be a warning, marketting departments aren't gamers. They think copyrights before they come up with any name.

Well I was going to throw my two cents in but its already been said.
Its been happening for a bit now.

Nintendo 64
Nintendo Gamecube etc, it seems like its something that we should expect now.

The Nintendo Wii is called the Nintendo Wii because their name is imprinted on the console. Thus making the console name the Nintendo Wii. But why should it matter what it is being called. Wii, Nintendo Wii, WiiWii, what does it matter, just go out and fun with it. Enjoy the console.

sagema said:
marketting departments aren't gamers. They think copyrights before they come up with any name.

Not true...there are whole marketing companies devoted towards brand naming; a name means a lot.

Think of it as a car. For example, I drive a Subaru Impreza 2.5rs. Now, it can be called by it's chasis code (GM6), or just Impreza, or 2.5rs, or Subaru Impreza, etc. It all depends on how familiar the person is that your are talking to is with cars. I could say something like "hey, check out that badass AE86" and I'm sure not many people will know what I'm talking about.

Overall, Nintendo is the company, Wii is the product. They are associated with each other, so therefore some people call it Nintendo Wii. If someone said "Microsoft 360" I would most likely know what they were talking about.

This thread is completely pointless and I can't believe I just contributed that much to it...

Back