Phantom hourglass or Spirit tracks?

Booo67

Mar 16, 2009
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Which one do you think is better? Was Zelda Spirit tracks an improvement or not?

Last edited:
If your asking for witch one to get the first one is selling cheap so get that

Not the price.

Last edited:
Spirit Tracks are, in every way, what a sequel should hope to accomplish.
Fix the "Flaws" of the first game, Innovate, make new flaws (but hopefully less).

Lets Start with the over all formula of the game. Hub >dungeon > hub repeat.
With this newer Zelda format (as apposed to the old 3 dungeon progression > Sword > Last 5 dungeon with plot pressing story) you are, pardon the pun railroaded to the next area a lot stronger than in past games, and the exploration is limited down to areas they want you to find, rather than screens with enemies, that serve really little reason except to make the journey a little longer, in a good way.

Pacing: With raw exploration cut down, you instead are treated to segments of the game, and almost a sort of movie scene approach (here's an action moment, and here is an action moment, rather than the journey itself).
Lets compare a few of the Zelda handhelds of the past.
In the old style, you have a smoother progression of story. Think back to Link's Awakening, side quests and the plot, let you discover things (taking the bowwow chain chomp for a walk), instead think of traveling in the ds versions. Sailing sailing, making sure monsters don't attack my boat/train OH HOLY CRAP ITS A GIANT SQUID/SPIDER. Almost in a take from modern action movies, the new games try to create moments that you remember rather than the quest itself.

Personally, I like the old style, but there is something to be said for this epic battles approach.

Now comparing the two games to each other, its an issue of building onto the past and then adding two it. The forgoing of the "speed run" mechanic in favor of the stealth duo mechanic, entirely new item sets that have different and very unique puzzles. The railroad system as apposed to the sailing system (The unique thing about the railroad, is I think it saved memory space, and actually allowed for more in game "areas")

The down fall is the multiplayer, is actually a huge step back from Hourglass. Lots less features, and feels tacked on where the other actually felt, well, robust.

In real short, if you like the new approach of the DS zelda games. Spirit Tracks is superior. But, Play both, they are cheep used and have low replay ability, so they will be traded back.

Spirit Tracks are, in every way, what a sequel should hope to accomplish.
Fix the "Flaws" of the first game, Innovate, make new flaws (but hopefully less).

Lets Start with the over all formula of the game. Hub >dungeon > hub repeat.
With this newer Zelda format (as apposed to the old 3 dungeon progression > Sword > Last 5 dungeon with plot pressing story) you are, pardon the pun railroaded to the next area a lot stronger than in past games, and the exploration is limited down to areas they want you to find, rather than screens with enemies, that serve really little reason except to make the journey a little longer, in a good way.

Pacing: With raw exploration cut down, you instead are treated to segments of the game, and almost a sort of movie scene approach (here's an action moment, and here is an action moment, rather than the journey itself).
Lets compare a few of the Zelda handhelds of the past.
In the old style, you have a smoother progression of story. Think back to Link's Awakening, side quests and the plot, let you discover things (taking the bowwow chain chomp for a walk), instead think of traveling in the ds versions. Sailing sailing, making sure monsters don't attack my boat/train OH HOLY CRAP ITS A GIANT SQUID/SPIDER. Almost in a take from modern action movies, the new games try to create moments that you remember rather than the quest itself.

Personally, I like the old style, but there is something to be said for this epic battles approach.

Now comparing the two games to each other, its an issue of building onto the past and then adding two it. The forgoing of the "speed run" mechanic in favor of the stealth duo mechanic, entirely new item sets that have different and very unique puzzles. The railroad system as apposed to the sailing system (The unique thing about the railroad, is I think it saved memory space, and actually allowed for more in game "areas")

The down fall is the multiplayer, is actually a huge step back from Hourglass. Lots less features, and feels tacked on where the other actually felt, well, robust.

In real short, if you like the new approach of the DS zelda games. Spirit Tracks is superior. But, Play both, they are cheep used and have low replay ability, so they will be traded back.
Good point,
the part where you said that "traveling by boat took up to much game space" I can definitely see since traveling by train you have to be on tracks instead of being able to go into every nook and cranny till you hit an invisible wall which can ruin the game experience.

I have played and beat all of the zelda games and i think the ones for the ds were of the poorest. They were still decent but i thought there would a better come out for it

I have played and beat all of the zelda games and i think the ones for the ds were of the poorest. They were still decent but i thought there would a better come out for it
Very true but your sorta off topic.:lol:

Back