Playing on line?

mattbrad

WiiChat Member
Jan 19, 2008
There is a great deal of confusion as to the ability to play against others online. When I purchased my Wii the tech said it would be easy to go online if I had a DSL connection. I then was told that I needed a lan line that was always on to get online. Then I was told I needed a wireless router to get online to play. So I changed my internet provider and bought a wireless modem so I could play online with friends in another state. Now I am online and I get all the channels, but how do I play against my friends online? The FAQ lead in to this forum states that you can not play online, but maybe by next year it will be possible, then I looked at the date and the FAQ were written in 2006.So can I or can't I play against someone on line and what do I need, and how do I do it?

Well first you both need the same games, those games to able to connect to WiFi and possibly their friend codes if the game requires them.

mattbrad said:
There is a great deal of confusion as to the ability to play against others online. When I purchased my Wii the tech said it would be easy to go online if I had a DSL connection. I then was told that I needed a lan line that was always on to get online. Then I was told I needed a wireless router to get online to play. So I changed my internet provider and bought a wireless modem so I could play online with friends in another state.

This should have all been covered in the Wii manual. DSL is fine, you didn't need to change internet providers.

Now I am online and I get all the channels, but how do I play against my friends online? The FAQ lead in to this forum states that you can not play online, but maybe by next year it will be possible, then I looked at the date and the FAQ were written in 2006.So can I or can't I play against someone on line and what do I need, and how do I do it?

The game must support online play. If it doesn't, you can't play it online. There are a handful of online-capable games out now and more coming.
There's a list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_Wi-Fi_Connection_games
although some of those just have online leaderboards rather than full online play.

Thanks

Thanks for the info I was about to go out and buy a WiFi for my Wii. We had planned on playing Wii sports and Madden on line, but since neither of them can be played online I will not waste my money.

mattbrad said:
Thanks for the info I was about to go out and buy a WiFi for my Wii. We had planned on playing Wii sports and Madden on line, but since neither of them can be played online I will not waste my money.

Which Madden do you have? Madden 08 is playable online.

Madden 08

I was able to get online with Madden - Thanks - Now I am only playing as a rookie - skills are not too good - How do I get a game with someone at my same level? How do I connect with my friend that lives in another state?

Last edited:
mattbrad said:
I was able to get online with Madden - Thanks - Now I am only playing as a rookie - skills are not too good - How do I get a game with someone at my same level? How do I connect with my friend that lives in another state?

There should be a section for it in the manual. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a section for it in the manual considering it's an EA game (they write terrible manuals). Otherwise, check out EA's website for the game; you might find valuable information there.

lol! look at what i ended up writting

IGN Wii: We're now called IGN Wii. How could you do this to us?

Perrin Kaplan: Say that again.

IGN Wii: It is pronounced like "we," right?

Perrin Kaplan: Yes, as in inclusive, you and me. So how could I do it to you?

IGN Wii: Yes. Don't you guys think about us when you do these things?

Perrin Kaplan: I think about you pretty much 24/7.

IGN: Well, of course you do.

Perrin Kaplan: Let me just tell you that if you're disrupted by it today, it's obviously caught your attention. And at the show, you're going to get to try out a lot of products that will make you happy.

IGN Wii: Revolution seemed to be a pretty cool code-name that a lot of our readers liked. Why abandon it?

Perrin Kaplan is VP of corporate affairs at NOAPerrin Kaplan: You know, I thought it was a neat name, too, but it's not as fitting for what we're trying to do. You think about Google being an unusual name. You think about Virgin Airlines. Amazon. Napster. All those. I think it's as unique as those. They aren't just unique, but loved names for places that we all know. And I think this is more fitting and the two Is work on a bunch of different levels. It looks like two people with heads who can play, which is the inclusive nature of everybody. It looks like the controllers. So for us it looked like a couple of different levels.
IGN Wii: You have said that you're going for a name that's unique, like Google. But Wii is also used as "we" every day and therefore only unique in spelling. Do you think there is a risk of confusing potential buyers with a title like this?

Perrin Kaplan: I think it's really fun to look at, the logo. I think people are going to see that on the box and our package art. I think people will get it straight after a while - it's just something they're going to have to get used to.

IGN Wii: Was the name decided on out of Japan or was it a global decision by Nintendo?

Perrin Kaplan: It's a global name. As most things at Nintendo are done, it was not done by any individual. It was really a team effort.

IGN Wii: How long have you known about the new name?

Perrin Kaplan: Well, let me see. We've been working on a name for a good year and have had this one in mind for some time.

IGN Wii: Simplicity seems to be part of the reasoning behind the new name. Why not just spell it "We" then?

Perrin Kaplan: I think that there's a really strong visual to it by having it symbolize the controllers and symbolize people. And, as you pronounce it, the Wii does stand for that whole worldwide inclusion of players. So you get both out of it.

IGN Wii: The logo and the video teaser you put out seem to stress the plurality of the name. What message can we take away from that?

Perrin Kaplan: I think it's just a reminder that the system can be played individually or be played by a lot of people. It is for people of all sized and shapes. It's really a system for everybody. It's a system for the core gamers. It's a system for the people who are just going to be re-entering gaming. I think that's what people can get from it.

IGN Wii: Why announce the final name now and not at E3 2006?

Perrin Kaplan: Why are we doing it now? Well, let me just say that if you look at how much time people have spent online talking about it today and paying attention to it today, it really, I think, required that kind of attention and seeping in for people to let it settle a little bit. It would be really, really easy to lose that at the show. Also, I think it's important for us to go into the show with people knowing what we're talking about.
IGN Wii: Some overzealous readers have created some truly phallic Wii designs. We e-mailed you several of them, as you saw. Any plans to use any of these brilliant materials in your official marketing plans?

Perrin Kaplan: What a nice way of asking that question! We actually have had a day of a lot of smiles around here with a variety of things that fans have created, let me just say that. It shows you that people are big fans of Nintendo.

IGN Wii: Do you think it will come as a shock to some of the Nintendo leaders back in Japan to see some of these fan-created Wii graphics?

Perrin Kaplan: Well, they might have to find those themselves.

IGN Wii: Some fans have already started petitions in hopes of somehow convincing Nintendo to change the name. Any message for these people?

Perrin Kaplan: Live with it, sleep with it, eat with it, move along with it and hopefully they'll arrive at the same place.

IGN: So will Wii be your focus at E3, or will DS have its place, too?

Perrin Kaplan: We're going to be focusing on both, as you probably know. We know people are really interested in hearing about the new system so we will obviously be having a big portion of our focus on it.

:yesnod: :yesnod: :lol:

Back