Please help: I'm looking for a game that can do...

courtwshr1

WiiChat Member
Dec 30, 2007
This is slightly related to a post a few days ago about Wii improving surgical skills. I am looking for a game to serve as a model platform for a study that will actually evaluate those skills. If anyone is familiar with laparoscopic surgery, the idea is that you have control of a instrument inside the body - but you're controlling it from the outside.
So my question: does anyone know of a game that requires you to perform 3-dimensional manipulation in a 3-D world? Or, alternatively, a game that allows you to control a camera lens in a 3-D world? For example, I have the game "True Blood" (the surgery game) which is really only 2-dimensional: you move in a 2-D world and press "A" when appropriate. I'm looking for a 3-D world where you move left/right, up/down, and IN/OUT. Even one where you can GRASP things, and where the rotational orientation of the wiimote will actually rotate the cursor (that actually does happen with True Blood...so really it's only missing the "in/out" degree of freedom).
Importantly, this game does NOT have to be surgical related - so no need to send a list of all the medical Wii games. It just needs to be anything that requires the skills of 3-D manipulation or 3-D control of a camera lens (point-of-view).
Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

courtwshr1 said:
This is slightly related to a post a few days ago about Wii improving surgical skills. I am looking for a game to serve as a model platform for a study that will actually evaluate those skills. If anyone is familiar with laparoscopic surgery, the idea is that you have control of a instrument inside the body - but you're controlling it from the outside.
So my question: does anyone know of a game that requires you to perform 3-dimensional manipulation in a 3-D world? Or, alternatively, a game that allows you to control a camera lens in a 3-D world? For example, I have the game "True Blood" (the surgery game) which is really only 2-dimensional: you move in a 2-D world and press "A" when appropriate. I'm looking for a 3-D world where you move left/right, up/down, and IN/OUT. Even one where you can GRASP things, and where the rotational orientation of the wiimote will actually rotate the cursor (that actually does happen with True Blood...so really it's only missing the "in/out" degree of freedom).
Importantly, this game does NOT have to be surgical related - so no need to send a list of all the medical Wii games. It just needs to be anything that requires the skills of 3-D manipulation or 3-D control of a camera lens (point-of-view).
Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

any 3rd person shooter like godfather, battalion wars. mohh2 also has good motion sensing with reloading, firing bazooks. there is this game called jenga where u build a model from jenga and shoot a ball at it to make it fall. supposedely, it has realistic physics. the closest thing that comes to mind is controlling sniper rifle binoculars with the wii remote.

Last edited:
would monkeyball banana blitz help?

it's all about tilting the remote, and may first appear be too fast pace, but you need a steady hand and you MUST move slower than what feels natural to be steady and accurate.

then game tests patience and persistence.

hmm odd not sure how many games would really give you what your looking for.But I would recomend the Trauma Center games since the require steady hands compared to most games, and games like Super Monkey ball for the tilting of the maze by wrist movements

Okay - ignore what I said about surgery. Like I said in the first post, the game does NOT have to be remotely related to surgery, it just needs to be 3-D. Any first person shooter is essentially TWO dimensional, even with binoculars or a sniper scope. The Monkeyballz game sounds like it's great for hand-eye coordination, but has nothing to do with manipulating the motion of a tool or device in a 3-D world. It's true that the Truama Center game is closest, but can anyone think of a game that is similar (in the sense that you are manipulating instruments), but that ALSO incorporates an "IN/OUT" movement of the Wiimote relative to the TV (aka: you have to REACH into the body and pick something up then PULL it BACK....in addition to aiming up/down and left/right). Anything?

Elebits might help. You do stuff like twist doorknobs to open them, put toast in toasters, etc. all using the motion sensing. It's frist-person and by moving the wiimote towards or away from the screen you can adjust the 3rd dimension positions of the objects. I'm doing a bad job explaining so maybe look it up on gamefaqs or something. It's pretty fun too.

I'm not sure which other games do that but I know certain aspects of Metroid Prime 3 require manipulating objects in a 3D world. For example, there are some levers/tools (for lack of a better word) on the control deck that you can use in the spaceship, like one that you control by pulling out with your hand then rotating the Wiimote in the direction you want to twist the lever to.

I think Elebits is definitely getting closer to what I'm looking for. I had never heard of it, but just looked it up. Apparently you can hold down "B" to pick up an object, then manipulate it all around in any direction. That's EXACTLY what I was hoping to find. Do others know of any other similar style games?

Back