Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Plug in the Wii and its a gray screen

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Hardware' started by cmpas2, May 22, 2010.

1. cmpas2

cmpas2 WiiChat Member

I brought my Wii over from America when I moved to Turkey. Its an American (NTSC) Wii and I am trying to play NTSC games. I bought a european power pack.

After reading a lot on the internet I was convinced that when I came here and purchased an LCD TV I would be able to use the Wii without a problem. I currently have it hooked up to a Samsung LE32B450 through the composite cable (yellow rca video cable) that shipped with the Wii.

Am I doing something wrong? Everything is just in black and white and the screen modulates some. In game and in the Channels menu.

2. EvilClown

EvilClown I wear Foxtrot -- Uniform

Wii Friend Code: 6666-6666-6666-6666
    6666-6666-6666-6666
    Are you positive it's all hooked up correctly? How old is your wii? Maybe a reader inside the wii is broken or messed up. Just some suggestions from a .... clown <_<

3. Raqoon

Raqoon WiiChat Member

You are probably using a PAL television set. North American units are designed for use with NTSC tv's. Likely the only way you will be able to use it is to purchase a multi-system TV, or run it through a VCR that can convert the NTSC signal to PAL for your TV.

4. EvilClown

EvilClown I wear Foxtrot -- Uniform

Wii Friend Code: 6666-6666-6666-6666
    6666-6666-6666-6666
    I dislike your superior smarticles :frown5:

5. cmpas2

cmpas2 WiiChat Member

The connection is fine. The TV itself reports to be multi-system. Its a Samsung LE32B450. I have no other way of testing to make sure the Wii works apart from this TV though :( It worked fine when i left the States about a month ago.

Will getting a component cable still be affected with the NTSC/PAL TV issue if it turns out I was mislead about the TV's NTSC/PAL/SECAM ability?

6. chaoren

chaoren WiiChat Member

gray scrambled NTSC Wii image on PAL TV

I had the same problem bringing my USA Wii to Hong Kong. It was hard to find, but in the PAL TV menu...hidden around Autoformat (on/off) = set to off, i started to find something that let me change Ext1 to NTSC. I have a Toshiba flat screen PAL TV.

Don't need a $120 USD NTSC/PAL convertor. Just find the manual for your PAL TV...although my manual was in Chinese, I just scanned every page until I saw the English for "PAL/NTSC" ...once I new it existed then it was a matter of finding the right "hidden" menu ;-)

This was a little non-intuitive so let me explain further.
    Once I changed the TV source to the Wii then the screen would grey and scrambled. Even opening up the menu for the TV would end up disappearing upon each "scramble". I had to shut off the Wii, then go back into the TV Source (where the Wii was connected--but now off) and go back in to the TV menu.

While in this TV Source, I was able to turn off auto-format and then from another TV menu page, I manually set it to NTSC from some obscure, hard-to-find TV menu. Once done and saved, then I turned the USA Wii back on and it worked on my PAL TV.

#6 chaoren, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  7. prinplup

prinplup a webmaster

Wii Friend Code: 2311-1123-4321-0974
    2311-1123-4321-0974
    or it could be on the wrong channel. when i have my t.v on input 2 it's a black screen with scrambled video of a wii menu so i flip it to input 1.