Problem with VGA cable

xFyre

WiiChat Member
Dec 30, 2009
Hi

I bought my Wii 3 days ago, and I had it connected to a standard TV through the scart plug. I bought a VGA cable so that I could connect it to my monitor, but I have a problem.

From time to time, the screen goes black for about 2 seconds, and then it goes back to normal.

I'm using a cable I bought in a video game store, and it's connected to an 1080p Asus VH242H screen, through the VGA plug. I am using the EDTV/HDTV setting on the wii.

What could be wrong?

Thanks.

You require a component cable to use the HD settings on the Wii. A VGA cables max setting is 60Hz.

If I do select 50 or 60 Hz, the picture goes out of place, in a way that it isn't adjustable with the "Screen Position" option. And in the back of the cable's box it says to select the EDTV/HDTV settings.

Oh right I think I know what you mean. I don't have any experience with VGA cables, I thought you meant something else. All I can think off is that, have you connected the cable properly in the VGA slot in your monitor?

Yup, checked all connections and everything looks in place. I'm going to try it on a non-HD monitor and see how it goes. If it does the same thing, it's probably the cable.

You require a component cable to use the HD settings on the Wii. A VGA cables max setting is 60Hz.

No
With my old one I could get the Wiis HD setting
Sadly my VGA cable has decided not to work on my monitors and only via the VGA connection on my TV

Yeah I realised my mistake :(
I was thinking of some other kind of cable.

S-Video maybe?

Anyway to the OP
Do you have a TV with a VGA input?
if that fails take it back and ask for a replacement

I have a video projector.

I have tried to link the wii to the other monitor I talked about and it did the same thing, but now I am unsure if it's the cable itself, or if the Wii has some kind of problem. I am going to do a test. Since the cable has two different connections, one for the Wii and another one for the PS3, I will try to hook it up to my PS3 and play for a while, to see if the same thing happens.

But, since my projector has both standard video in and VGA, I can just try to connect the Wii with both cables and see the results.

One more thing, it's not the screen, since it's working just fine with the PS3 and the PC.

Back