Problems w/ Wii & Linksys WRT54G

MonsterTy

WiiChat Member
Aug 11, 2007
Hopefully someone out there has the answer I've been searching for. I've been trying to get my Wii online all day with no luck. Originally (this morining) I had a Linksys WRT54G v3.1 in place and spent several hours trying to get my Wii to connect through it with no luck at all. I've been on and off these forms nonstop, reading virtually every posy I could find that had any mention of the WRT54G in it to try and find an answer. On a ahim I decided since most of the posts I was reading were saying they had no problem at all with the WRT54G, I decided that perhaps I just needed a newer version. I ran into Best Buy and got a v8.0 and still can't get online.
Before anyone throws the usual replies back at me, please be aware that I have tried everything suggested in here to attempt to remedy this. I've updated the firmware on both routers to the latest available version. I did this only after trying every channel w/o any type of security enabled on each router just to see if they would allow the connection. I figured after I got it working I could go back in and set up the security. I have even put the Wii in the DMZ on each router as well.
I was able to move the Wii around in my living room a bit so that it would pick up a few other wi-fi's. I found one with a very weak signal, but was able toconnect to it, lol. How could it be that my routers are showing green and FULL signal strength, yet I am unable to connect? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this extremely long cry for help.

I had a WRT54GS which pretty close to being the same. If nothing else works, try setting the router to the defaults and then changing the SSID to something unique and connecting without a password.

Online at last!

Finally got fed up w/ the v8.0 not working, so I went back to the v3.1 and started tinkering. After re-reading a couple of posts about DD-WRTv23, I decided to give it a shot. I guess that's really all it took in the end. I boosted the signal strength, but everything else was left the same. The Wii picked everything up by default and away I went.
Funny how everyone seems to solve the problem w/ these routers in a slightly different way each time. At least it's working... for now. (fingers crossed). Anyway, thanks for putting all this information in one place. It's alot to read through when you're frustated as hell, but pays off in the end.

Funny, I was just about to come here and say I'd trade you straight up for your v3.1 Linksys for my known to work with the Wii Dlink DIR-615 Draft N router for the sole purpose of putting DD-WRT. DD-WRT was able to make my broken WRT54GS work again, well, a little better than it was anyway.

Funny you mention V8 not working. I bought a V8 and I lose all connection with both my Wii and PC over a period of time. The router is about to go back for the second time and I won't be coming back with a Linksys.

Back