put wii online without pc

sean187

WiiChat Member
Feb 5, 2007
can anyone help with what might be a seen as a dumb question,
i have no pc or laptop at home but want to get my wii online, so is it poss for me to get broadband, hook the wii up to a wireless router supplied by the internet provider and get online without having to configure any setting as you would do on your pc

It is possible to hook your wii up to the net via a wireless router however there might be some configuration that you need to do first on the wireless router like putting on a password or so and I am afraid it has to be done on a PC. But if you buy the wii LAN adapter you could draw a wire from the broadband modem and directly into the wii and then it would be on the net.

with the amount of trouble people have with their wii connections, its likely you will need to change settings and play around..

do a quick search for neighbours open wireless networks, naughty naughty

Yeah you are right that is another option. There is most likely a open wireless network out there.
GaryT85 said:
do a quick search for neighbours open wireless networks, naughty naughty

thanks for the advice guys, i checked for a network as soon as i took my wii out the box but no luck, i guess thats what happens when your neighbours are a bunch of cheapskates

Nice avatar Andreask! I love Dragon Ball, specially in Spanish

Yay for me =] i live in mountain view, and all of it, well atleast most of it, gets FREE wi-fi from google!. its awesome! xP
Yah, if you have neighbors who have unsecure wi-fi you should just use theirs =] no know would know and you get to play online!

andreask said:
It is possible to hook your wii up to the net via a wireless router however there might be some configuration that you need to do first on the wireless router like putting on a password or so and I am afraid it has to be done on a PC. But if you buy the wii LAN adapter you could draw a wire from the broadband modem and directly into the wii and then it would be on the net.
There is minor setup that requires a PC, but what you could do is set it up on a friends PC and take it home and do the password, WEP, SSID, port forwarding, and other settings on the Wii using the Opera web browser on the Wii (it is possible), to access the settings, figure out your router's IP, usually 192.168.1.1, the red 1 is interchangable between either 1, 2, or 0, some other routers may run off of a different IP altogether, just read your router's manual for the correct IP, I usually use either my Wii or my PSP to change router settings since they are more central or more portable than my computers

As others said, a computer would be needed to initially setup the connection, but after that you could just have the router hooked into your cable/dsl modem and never touch it.
See if you can borrow a friends wireless enabled laptop for your install date.

Back