Quick Wii Problem - Flasing Red Power Light

Yorutaun

WiiChat Member
Mar 30, 2009
Hello,

I was just wondering if someone could explain this to me. I woke up this morning, and when I clicked the power button on the Wii, it persisted to be red. So then, I clicked the power button on the Wii Remote, and the light was still red. :mad2:

Conditions: The Wii is in an A.C. cooling device that also charges the remotes. I also place a light cloth over it, so dust won't fall on the Wii.

After I clicked it a few more times, the power button began to flash (still red) strangely. :nonod:

To conclude, I took all the cords out, let it sit for a few minutes, plugged it back in, and it turned on fine.

I'm just wondering what error this was, how I can prevent it, and if it caused any damage to the Wii. (Maybe it was the cloth?)

Thank you very much,
Taylor :thumbsup:

(P.S.) I also played like fifteen hours this weekend. Maybe even more...

Last edited:
Oh! I forgot to mention I played the Wii this weekend for a long time...

Not an entirely unheard of issue. It seems usually when people have this happen, it is after a power outage (or the subsequent spike that happens when power comes back on). Typically unplugging it for a short while (taking the plug out of the wall as well as taking it out of the console) as you did allows the Wii to reset itself to power back on again (it actually is resetting the power brick when you do this). It might point to a fault with the Wii's power brick, if it is failing and causing power drops or spikes.

Wait...

So, how do I know if the Wii has permanent damage? It seems to be working fine, but I still don't understand the flashing red light... Could it have been caused by overheating?

Thanks.

Back