Region compatibility question

windwaker

WiiChat Member
Jan 3, 2010
Australia
Hi guys, my problem is as follow:

A few years ago while in Japan I purchased a nintendo wii around launch time. At the time I was studying Japanese and assumed as my language proficiency increased, Japanese games and system menus would cease to be an obstacle.

Fast forward to today, Japanese skill=nill :( I've recently returned to Australia from an extended stay overseas, dusted off my old wii and found all the menus/cutscenes are gibberish to me. I wouldn't mind playing some new games in a language I can understand, but i dont want to go through the hassle/risk of modding.

As I've slowly forgotten my Japanese, my Chinese has improved to point approaching fluency :) so I'm wondering if I can purchase wii games from Taiwan or China and play them on my unmodded Japanese wii.

As I understand all wiis are encoded for one of three regions, NTSC Japan, NTSC U.S. or PAL E.U. etc... Does this mean all games released in Asia fall under the NTSC Japan region?

tl;dr

Can wii games from China or Taiwan be played on an unmodded Japanese wii?

As far as I know console region codes have nothing in common with DVD region codes.

Try to prove me wrong.

Back