Remote Range Question

vbmike73

WiiChat Member
Jan 11, 2013
I don't think anything's wrong with my Wii, but I'm just trying to understand something. I have the black version, not Wii U. Got it in 2011. The bowling game for example that came with it. I can be literally 30 feet away from the sensor bar and bowl just fine. I can be the same distance playing Super Mario, which does not use the sensor bar I'm assuming since it's not based on motion, and everything works just fine. So why when I am 15 feet away sitting on the couch can I not do the initial pointing to start the game??? Like when we play Super Mario, I have to get off the couch to get closer so that I can point the arrow to launch Super Mario, then select Start. It's not a height issue, it's not that anything is blocking the sensor bar, I've even tried a brand new sensor bar to make sure nothing is wrong. It's like that initial pointing has different sensory settings or something. It's baffling my mind since I can bowl from 30-40 ft away! What's the deal here?

The bowling doesn't use the sensor bar at all. It uses the motion sensors inside the Wii Remote. I suggest maybe changing where the sensor bar is at. For example, if it is on the top of the TV, put it on the bottom and vice versa. Also in the settings there is an option to change sensor bar sensitivity. Play with that until you get the settings correct. When making the adjustments to the sensitivity you should only see 2 white lights when pointed at the screen (those are the lights inside the sensor bar). If you see more than that means something else is putting off IR light which is messing with the Wii Remotes ability to know where it is being pointed.

Wow I feel dumb. Thank you! Never knew you could adjust the sensitivity of the sensor. It was on 3 and I moved to 5. And never thought about bowling using the sensors inside the remote. So it's much much better now. Still have to lean forward a couple feet to first get the arrow, or if I drag the arrow off the screen have to lean forward to get it back, but much better. Thanks for explaining!

Back