Resistance in Manchester

Flagel

Soul of highest Calibur
Nov 9, 2006
UK
Wii Online Code
4883-9225-1818-3903
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6736809.stm

The Church of England is considering legal action against entertainment firm Sony for featuring Manchester Cathedral in a violent Playstation computer game.

The Church says Sony did not obtain permission to use the interior in the war game 'Resistance - Fall of Man.'

The game, which has sold more than one million copies, shows a virtual shoot-out in the cathedral's nave in which hundreds of soldiers are killed.

A Sony spokesman said that permission had been sought where necessary.

However, the Church said Sony did not ask for permission to use the cathedral and it has demanded an apology and the removal of the game from shop shelves - otherwise legal action will be considered.

Sony has not returned calls from Church officials

I suppose I can understand a church being angry at virtual violence in their cathedral, however I doubt they have any legal ground. Also I doubt the church would actually complain if someone did clear out the cathedral of Chimera.
I seriously don't believe that this will inspire people (however trigger happy and stupid) to start a gun battle in a cathedral.
What do you guys think about this?

Last edited:
Wow... if that happens there could be some serious problems for Sony.. Resistance is one of their good games. Not sure if it would be successful but Oo

People are idiots...rargh.

Would be pretty funny if this was a marketing capagin by Sony mind. Funny and slighty not surprising.

This isnt a problem for sony, its a problem for every game maker in existance that uses landmarks or locations in their games. Considering its not a photo, but an artists 3d version of a building, they have no right to sue. What if you painted a picture of George W. Bush, should he have the right to sue you? Nope. What if you painted a picture of Big Ben in London, should you be sued? Nope. Its illogical and artists have freedom of interpretation.

If this lawsuit goes through, there may be dire side effects for all game developers and artists. Games like MGS4 can get Sued for having the statue of liberty for example.

Was just reading about this on Yahoo wowzers. Considering my friend said Resistance is PS3's best game, if it got banned because of a fictional cathedral, then I would sure roll on the floor whilst laughing my iddy biddy arse off.

Thread should be renamed to "Resistance - Fall of Man-chester"

Seriously, do it mods...its catchy.

m7ticalm said:
I think its a bit too much to start sueing them. But then again, sony should have asked them.....
This is the great and powerful Sony, they do not ask..they take! (jkjk)

It really is a little over the top...I mean cmon...its not like its doing any harm.

I think the church are just trying to get attention with this to be honest.

"HEY GUYS, LOOK AT US, WE STILL EXIST, LOL VIDEO GAMES"

Back