Saving GameCube games to the Wii?

X2222

WiiChat Member
Feb 15, 2007
So i just bought 2 new gamecube games and a controller for the wii only to realize that you apparently can't save anything from those games to the internal memory of the wii(plus i even bought a new micro sd card).

Is this true? So do i need to buy a gamecube memory pack now for the wii?

This seems a bit rediculous and now, the wii may have been relativly cheap but with all the nesessary accesories you must buy, wow...

Well basically there's a gamecube trapped within the Wii, when you're playing GameCube games, you have to treat the Wii like it's a flat, white GameCube.

So yes, you need a GameCube memory card.

Yea, well thats dumb. They really should have done a better job to integrate the two. It seems to exit a gamecube game your only option as well is to turn off and back on the system.

X2222 said:
Yea, well thats dumb. They really should have done a better job to integrate the two. It seems to exit a gamecube game your only option as well is to turn off and back on the system.

Well I'm certainly not neccesarily disagreeing with you in terms of, it would have been nice if the whole "package" integrated 100%, but, obviously, the internal memory has a finite amount of data that it can hold, and with game saves, downloaded games, and future software for the Wii, I can forsee a "keen" gamer using it up pretty quickly!

The "missed trick" I think is with the SD Cards! I can't see that it would have taken a whole lot of "grey matter" for someone at "N" to have enabled Gamecube saves to that ( which, I guess, most owners are going to invest in anyway? ), rather than them needing a Gamecube mem.card.

The other side of the argument, which I've heard put forward is: if you want to take advantage of the Wii's backward compatibility and play Cube games, then you're obviously prepared to go out and buy them...so what's the difference in that and purchasing a card?!?

It's a tenuous argument, but it does have a point, and, anyway, it's all a little redundant because, if yopu want to play "Cube" then you've gotta buy a card. Full stop.

Cheers all
Chris

I got a Game Cube controller brand new but not the official make from Game Station for £7.99 and a second hand GC memory card for £1.99 from the same shop.

Purplecat said:
I got a Game Cube controller brand new but not the official make from Game Station for £7.99 and a second hand GC memory card for £1.99 from the same shop.

Sounds like a deal to me! Nice one!

Chris

I am going to go back today and buy a second remote so I can play Mario Kart against my boyfriend. I think it is great that most of the game shops near where I live sell the games for 3 for £20 or 3 for 2 so I am busy building up my collection.

Purplecat said:
I am going to go back today and buy a second remote so I can play Mario Kart against my boyfriend. I think it is great that most of the game shops near where I live sell the games for 3 for £20 or 3 for 2 so I am busy building up my collection.

Nic, are you saying they sell Cube games at 3 for £20?!? Crikey!

I don't know what the Board's attitude is to advertising retail outlets but, if noone has any objections, could you possibly post the name of one ( or a couple ) and whether they might sell mail-order or via the net?

Thanks Nic

Chris

its like split personalities. one of them lies dormant while the other is active.
once you activate the GC within the wii you need to let it 'sleep' by turning it off so that it returns to normal.

Another point. After playing Ocarina of time and saving, how do you then quit out of the game. Do you just reset the wii? The wii controllers don't work obviously so there's no way of going 'home'! yesterday I had to start back in the forest and make my way all the way back to The Goron mine again! Any suggestions or points please

Back