Saving VC

Homesrfan

ftw
Nov 1, 2006
When downloading VCs, has anyone heard if you can put them on your SD card or an external HD (I guess not seeing as though they haven't been confirmed).

I'm starting to worry because of the Wii's 512MB HD. I want to get N64 games and those take up a lot of space... especially saving. How many do you think someone could have at once?

Here's what Nintendo said in a recent interview:
Can games be stored on external media such as SD cards, and what happens if you run out of storage space?

Nintendo: Games that are downloaded can be stored either to the Wii's internal memory (512MB) or onto SD cards, which plug into the SD slot on the front of the Wii. In addition the console also stores a history of all of your downloads so that if you have to delete any VC games for any reason you could re-download them for free at a later date.

Will you be able to take your VC games to a mate's house, say, on an SD card?

Nintendo: No. All VC games will be locked to the console they are downloaded on so even if they are on an SD card they can't be used on other machines. You will have to take your Wii with you.

Does that mean that if your console breaks you lose your VC games forever?

Nintendo: No. Nintendo will offer support to help Wii owners with problems to recover their games.
Source

I'm not sure about Virtual Console game size, but I'm pretty sure the NES through all the other consoles, stopping at the N64 games, which will take up a good amount more, will be modest in size. I'm sort of hoping Nintendo allows for online storage of games. This wouldn't be great for those without an internet connection, but for those that do, it would open up a lot of space.

Maybe, in the future, Nintendo will increase the size of Wii's internal storage to a gig or two. Who knows?

Maybe an external hdd
a bloke i know got one (250 gig) that works on his 360

NateTheGreat said:
I'm sort of hoping Nintendo allows for online storage of games. This wouldn't be great for those without an internet connection, but for those that do, it would open up a lot of space.

Why would you need internet storage for games? I mean if you can reload games from nintendo for free then it is same to download game again from vc shop as it is to dowload it again from online storage right? I mean you allready has a storage of all vc games you have bought. =)

Ancestor said:
Why would you need internet storage for games? I mean if you can reload games from nintendo for free then it is same to download game again from vc shop as it is to dowload it again from online storage right? I mean you allready has a storage of all vc games you have bought. =)
I don't think you quite got my point. What I was trying to get across was that since you can't save VC games to an external source other than a SD card (which you can't take and play on a friend's Wii) it would be nice to have your games kept online so you wouldn't have to spend a ton on SD cards, but thinking over it more now, I'm guessing Nintendo would charge for that too. Also, I don't know what it would be like to play a game from an internet server, so it might not be a very good idea.

I don't think you quite got my point. What I was trying to get across was that since you can't save VC games to an external source other than a SD card (which you can't take and play on a friend's Wii) it would be nice to have your games kept online so you wouldn't have to spend a ton on SD cards, but thinking over it more now, I'm guessing Nintendo would charge for that too. Also, I don't know what it would be like to play a game from an internet server, so it might not be a very good idea.

It sorta already is 'stored' on the internet. Since they go by your account you can redownload the VC game, like as if it was stored. Remember, you can save it onto the Wiis internal 512mb memory

COLDshiver said:
It sorta already is 'stored' on the internet. Since they go by your account you can redownload the VC game, like as if it was stored. Remember, you can save it onto the Wiis internal 512mb memory
Yeah, you're right. I was just sort of suggesting/hoping Nintendo might make it so you could play those games from the online server, rather than having to take up space on an SD card or the internal 512MB, but who knows if that's possible and if you would run into lag and things.

NateTheGreat said:
Yeah, you're right. I was just sort of suggesting/hoping Nintendo might make it so you could play those games from the online server, rather than having to take up space on an SD card or the internal 512MB, but who knows if that's possible and if you would run into lag and things.

Yeah that would be nice. But running from game from net would mean that every time you play game you will load it to temp so starting game would be rather slow (not to mention that it's essentially same as downloading game again from shop) allso there is guestion about saves as it would require a saves to be store to your harddrive to separate file or them to be uploadet to net where there is possibility of fault in transfer thus leading to loss of saves.

Also, if your internet connection went kaput in the middle of a game, you would be quite angry. If it were stored on your Wii, you could just keep on truckin. You would also be subject to lagg and all sorts of other crap that just isn't cool when dealing with an internet.

Back