SD card issue: "This card is not usable."

Anot

WiiChat Member
Dec 25, 2006
Hi,

I have a PleoMax (Samsung) 256GB SD memory card. It is supposed to be a "high speed" card (10MB/s). It works fine on my PC but my Wii console doesn't seem to be able to read it. I get a "This card is not usable." message whenever I try to use the card in the Photo Channel.

Do the files in the card have to be in a particular layout or directory structure? All I have in the card is a few JPEG pictures from a Cannon Powershot digital camera.

Thanks in advance!

Anot

PS. The web browsing channel is really cool!

i heard that the Wii cant access cards higher than 2gig, i think you got a problem there XD

I really doubt that he's talking about a 256gb card. I imagine it's a typo. Anyway, You probably are using some other kind of card that's just the same size.

vhdblood said:
I really doubt that he's talking about a 256gb card. I imagine it's a typo. Anyway, You probably are using some other kind of card that's just the same size.

Yes, it was a typo... I meant 256MB, Sorry about that!

I still don't know what is wrong with this card :(

Anot

Anot said:
Yes, it was a typo... I meant 256MB, Sorry about that!

I still don't know what is wrong with this card :(

Anot

Did you previously use it in a camera or something that re-formatted it into some proprietary format maybe?

JKarp said:
Did you previously use it in a camera or something that re-formatted it into some proprietary format maybe?

No. I tested the card in my PC out of the box with no issues whatsoever. It is formatted with the FAT32 file system as usual

Thanks.
Anot

My 2 GB SD works fine. I do a lot of photography and once in a while I have a card I need to reformat to get to work. Can you move the data to chip you HD or something, reformat the card and move the data back? I don't remember seeing a way to format the SD card in the Wii but I usually like to format the card in the device that will us it if possible before I use it. Just a thought.

Does it have the lock on the side i have an SD card that doesnt have the lock and it wont work with the Wii

yo i got my sd card and on the card it says compatible with the wii so some arent compatable with the wii

He is probably using an mmc card, they look pretty much the same as an sd card but wont work in the wii.

Peaty said:
My 2 GB SD works fine. I do a lot of photography and once in a while I have a card I need to reformat to get to work. Can you move the data to chip you HD or something, reformat the card and move the data back? I don't remember seeing a way to format the SD card in the Wii but I usually like to format the card in the device that will us it if possible before I use it. Just a thought.

Thanks. I haven't found a way to format the card in the Wii, but I'll try reformatting it in my PC.

Anot

cannon said:
He is probably using an mmc card, they look pretty much the same as an sd card but wont work in the wii.

As far as I can tell, it *is* an SD card. Probably my card is just defective, or it is one of the (few, I hope) SD cards that is actually not compatible with the Wii...

FUBAR said:
Does it have the lock on the side i have an SD card that doesnt have the lock and it wont work with the Wii

The card does have a lock on the side. I have tried to use the card with both the lock on and off, but no joy...

As I said in a previous post, my card may be just defective, or it could be one of those SD cards that is actually not compatible with the Wii...

Another possibilty is that the SD card slot in the Wii could be defective. I guess I'll just borrow or buy another card and try.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Anot

You could try formatting it FAT16, some cameras (and maybe the Wii) wont read FAT32.

I know my Fuji S5600 wont read the xD card if its formatted anything other than FAT12 or FAT16

Give it a try anyhow.. I could be on the wrong track, I havent bought an SD card for my Wii yet, will be checking this thread closely prior to doing so :)

jamesjw said:
You could try formatting it FAT16, some cameras (and maybe the Wii) wont read FAT32.

I know my Fuji S5600 wont read the xD card if its formatted anything other than FAT12 or FAT16

Give it a try anyhow.. I could be on the wrong track, I havent bought an SD card for my Wii yet, will be checking this thread closely prior to doing so :)

I've tried reformatting the card (both FAT16 and FAT32) but no joy. The local Game shop sells ScanDisk cards. The guy there claims those work well with the Wii, but I haven't tried one of those yet.

PleoMax (Samsung) cards don't seem to be compatible with the Wii, though... :(

Cheers,
Anot

Anot said:
I've tried reformatting the card (both FAT16 and FAT32) but no joy. The local Game shop sells ScanDisk cards. The guy there claims those work well with the Wii, but I haven't tried one of those yet.

PleoMax (Samsung) cards don't seem to be compatible with the Wii, though... :(

Cheers,
Anot

I ended up buying a LEGEND 2GB SD card, works well, didnt require a format before I used it.. threw some mp3's and some pics on it and slideshow worked well through the photo channel.

So i can safely recommend the LEGEND SD Flash cards.

-- Jim.

Back