Sony: Wii Nothing More Than 'Impulse Buy'

Sore loser Sony. $600 is an robbery. Last year for $600 I bought an AMD-64 PC and new 256 mb PCI-E video card. I got a complete, versatile machine with 1 gb ram, networking, keyboard, mouse, DVD burner, memory card reader, 160 gb harddrive, Win XP, etc. that plays Half-Life 2 smooth as silk.
$600 for just a gaming system and joystick? Pleeeease.

Some may consider the wii an impulse buy, but at least people are buying it, most of my friends believe that the ps3 is the future and that the wii is "a playstation 2 with a funny controller" and try as i might to tell them about power doesn't matter but it still has some, and how the console is outselling, they just make excuses , similar to what sony is doing now. I believe the term is 'denial'.

Homesrfan said:
Wii will shine in '07. Don't expect MGS out in '07, which will be one of the only HUGE games to come out on PS3 that stand a chance.

With MP: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Smash Brothers, along with the help with the great 3rd party support coming, '07 will really test Wii.

You could be right, by the time Sony gets out some good games, the Wii and 360 might have already gotten too far ahead. The same happened last year, the PS2 got a massive headstart on the competition, and it proved to be the major factor separating the consoles.

I cant beleive Sony is behaving so childish! Its obvious that they are pissed off that they arent on top any more, but whos fault is that really?! Sony is being a ****ing retard and just needs to accept that their console is a faliure! ONE MORE THING SONY IVE WAITED FOR THE WII SINCE IT WAS ANNOUNCED!
IMPULSE BUY WHATEVER BITCHES!

Last edited:
It just sounds like Sony is attempting to discredit the potential of the Wii. Altogether like people have said it is just denial on Sony's part. They made a bad move with the PS3 and really aren't willing to live up to it. It would have been a better move to create a 600 dollar PS3 version and a cheaper version that lacks Blu-Ray.

And I also don't believe the Wii is just an "impulse buy". The console has now been completely selling out of practically every store the second they hit retail for I believe almost 3 months now. At this point the Wii has gotten it's reviews and has been out in the market long enough to give people a good idea if it is worth it.

Not to mention that whole "impulse buy" I associate with over-hyped products. The PS3 was the next-gen console with the most hype from what ive seen and it hasn't been selling nearly as much as the Wii.

the Wii will be victorious, Sony doesn't even have any games under its name; Metal Gear originated on the Nintendo as well as Final Fantasy, they should be with Nintendo but that doesn't matter the Wii doesn't need those titles to win, they are selling really good thanks to Zelda alone...prepare when Brawl(and all the other titles coming out) comes out, Wii purchases are gonna be alot higher, and the PS3 will die out of jealousy.

What else is Sony going to say? They screwed up their launch so badly, they have no recourse but to go and point fingures. :lol: :lol:

Sony have made true statement....

SCEA spokesman tells New York Times that Nintendo's new console doesn't belong in the same category as the PlayStation 3.

Now looking at this pragmatically - it's correct and always will be - the Wii isn't even kicking in the same park as PS3, it never said it wanted to play with the other 3rd gen big boys BUT what Nintendo has come out and said time after time after time...is that they are focussing on the bigger gaming experience through innovation. Check that box then!!! :ciappa:

Sony and MS can stand there all day and banter about how big and clever their systems are and what they can do that doesn't always involve playing games; which is surely what people buy these machines for, isn't it?? These are functions which Wii doesn't want and has been loud and proud about it. Sony/MS don't have the vital element in 3rd gen (at the moment) - which is innovation, slapping a HD/Blueray dvd player isn't innovation - after all you could buy a dvd player for a lot less to play discs, you can buy a palmtop to surf the net anywhere, not just in front of the tv.....now what's their angle..c..co....con.....CONVERGENCE! Phew - there I said it at last.

Sony and MS are producing hybrid machines with the POWER to converge all sorts of everthing into the front room....detracting from innovation on the games front onto processing power to do other things.....So what?!?! If I wanted true convergence I would wish for a coffee maker which scrambles eggs at the same time with a bolt on toaster option - now that would be useful (although I don't want it all in front of the tv - hmmm maybe the toilet would be good so I could "converge" my breakfast; ahem; media content :prrr: ......)

I want a games machine to be just that - shove a game in and be entertained, nothing more, nothing less! Nintendo have surely achieved this niche in video games with the added WOW factor of an immersive control system...they have Sony / MS on the run!!!

So I say let Sony / MS carry on not concentrating on the pleasure gaming innovation and let Nintendo carry on their tradition and blatantly gathering market share because when all is said and done it's the figures that count!!

Read 'em an' weep boys...If word of mouth is the most powerful advertising in the world then how many people have recommended PS3 or XB360 with the same out and out excitement that Wii has....gee let me think!

Sony just want people to purchase their consoles. There basically trying to say our console is kicking that little things ass so buy ours. It's a big up of the Playstation 2, sure it looks better but I just want to have some fun. If fun is going to cost me £180 ($250) or £500 ($650) what do you think I'm going to choose?

Ok the PS3 costs a mint to make but do you really want to spend half a grand when you could probably wait for the price to drop? (Ok long time, but the PS2 is still running strong).

It's hard to be an impulse buy when the Wii is still sold out everywhere. ( unlike the PS3...i've seen them in several shelves already )

No person with normal income impulse spends $250. You know why I bought the Wii? I saved up for 6+ months for a next gen system. Whatever I had by then would determine which system I bought. By the time preorder day came I was only able to get a Wii, Zelda, and a few gamecube games for $5-$10 each and still stay below $370. It wasn't that I hated Sony, I just didn't have the cash. What followed afterwards made me glad I got a Wii. This system owns!

I consider myself a fan of Sony. I own a lot of Sony products, from a VCR, PS1-2. I felt the PS3 was a betrayal to true Sony fans. I never bought a GC, X-box. The PS2 owned that much.

sagema said:
No person with normal income impulse spends $250. You know why I bought the Wii? I saved up for 6+ months for a next gen system. Whatever I had by then would determine which system I bought. By the time preorder day came I was only able to get a Wii, Zelda, and a few gamecube games for $5-$10 each and still stay below $370. It wasn't that I hated Sony, I just didn't have the cash. What followed afterwards made me glad I got a Wii. This system owns!

I consider myself a fan of Sony. I own a lot of Sony products, from a VCR, PS1-2. I felt the PS3 was a betrayal to true Sony fans. I never bought a GC, X-box. The PS2 owned that much.
Almost the exact same as me.

I was a true Nintendo fan until the PS2 came out. Then I almost completely forgot about it and just played PS2. But now I feel like Sony pulled a fast one on us and I just like Wii better. I'm so glad I got back to Nintendo! I really miss those N64 days!

Truly i dont think that i would be to "impusled" to buy a 600 dollars system. The wii is cheap, insanly fun, and very easy to use. So sony...you can lick my a**

I think of it this way. Sony things that the success of this console is going to be only short term. But in terms of marketing, lets think about where the company's money comes from. INITIALLY, it is form console sales. But in the long term, it is from the Games. Lets say that in the long run, nintendo sells twice as many consoles as the playstation. The play station would still make MORE money than nintendo from the console sales because the system costs more......well not really, because sony LOSES money off of every console they sell. However, when we start to talk about games, due to the cheaper price, nintendo has deployes FAR more consoles than soney while still MAKING money. So sony has started to make some great games, but in comparison to nintendo's sales, they fail because you can only buy a game for the amount of systems sold. get what I am saying? Nintendo has reached out to so many people that even though their console is not as powerful, they will sell FAR more games than Sony. WORD

Thats idiotic, there is nothing at all wrong with impulse buys, thats how most goods are sold anyways.

Sony=Jealous

Back