Strange as hell bug

Fortnox

WiiChat Member
Feb 20, 2007
Hey, I've registered looking for help on this. I've had my Wii for ages, since mid-December, exactly a week after the initial release I believe (Argos being slow), and its worked fine ever since. But just now, literely about 40 or so minutes ago, I added another friend to my adress book earlier (3rd, I think) and he sent me a message, so I went to check my Miis to see if he had sent me his, but as soon as I scrolled over the "Start" button it crashes, and it gets weirder.

See, I have this cool box thing, the Logic3. I've used it for a long time, very reliable, and it allows me to plug all sorts of things into it, and plug it into my monitor, allowing 4 channels: TV, AV, VGI and S (No idea what S is), I've only ever used VGI and AV, for my PC and for my PS2 and Wii (Which I switch around the AV slot when I want to play the other) Neways, the screen goes blank. I move my wiimote around and nothing is happening. Mii channel has crashed before for no reason, so I'm not so suprised or distressed. I just turn it off and on again (via button on console) However when I start back up there is a very low-resolution image of the Mii Channel before my Wii, Carlton, crashed. For some reason it is on TV too. VGI is fine ans S is black emptyness as usual. But, the wiimote still vibrates, and the speakers still make noise. I realised my screen was screwed but my wii was still working, I managed to (based on sounds and rumbles) open up the Mii Channel again, and I could hear it working, but still see nothing.

Next thing I did I turned my Wii off, unplugged power, unplugged video (both sides), turned off Logic3 (my magic box thingy), wasted 10 minutes, and came back. I plugged everything back in again and turned them on, and everything worked fine. Even TV was clear. I go on Mii channel, the second I put my cursor over Start it crashes. I turn my Wii off, flick over to TV and it is a low-res screen of my Wii before it crashed. This time I just turn off my Wii, flick off Logic3, then flick Logic3 back on again, turn Carlton back on, everything loads up fine. I open my mii cahnnel... go onto "Wii Menu" and return to menu. I went to a few others and they worked fine. I go to Start on Mii channel again (Having worked up some courage) and it crashes. Same again. This time I go over to a few others and they all work fine, except photo channel, when I go start on that it crashes too. Interestingly the two channels that have previews before Wii24 downloads the rest. I do the same again, but this time it crashes the instant I the Mii Channel appears, doesn't even wait for me to cursor over the Start button.

Really sorry for the long post, took some explaining ^^ I just really hope someone has had a similiar experience and knows how to fix it. I'm going to try a system update, but I doubt much will happen. Thanks for reading and I hope some people reply ^^

*edit* System update did nothing. I realised however, it doesn't crash. But for some reason mutes itself. I went onto photo channel again and it crashed instantly, but I felt my Wiimote rumble. So I volumed up on Logic3 and it started making sounds, but no matter what I did it was still blank. So I guess it wasn't crashing, just blacking out :S At this point I'm going to turn everything off when I go to bed (I usually have my Wii and Logic3 and sometimes even my PC all running and producing alot of heat within half a meter of each other, so its no suprise if one of them over-heats, I also have my PS2 going during the day alot too. It's a warm day today too, oddly enough, but I think thats just because it was cold yesterday and my dad put the heating up really high)

Last edited:
This may sound dumb and redundant but did you try "re-updating" your wii?

To me it seems you got a bad bug in there somewhere... only way i'd know to fish it out is to reload your software... but then... best easy "patsy" way to fix it is send yer lil wii to nintendo. Or box it and take it back to the store.

ok lame i know but best i could come up with

is this the white and green box that looks like an xbox 360 accessory?

if it is i have read people having problems with this box and their wiis....i'll see if i can find where i read about it and get you an answer

Try playing your Wii on a TV. If it does the same thing, you know where the problem lies. If it works on the TV, then your "magic box" needs to be replaced.

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips. Its working now, it was strange as hell and kinda scary, but I'm guessing it must have been over heating. I turned off anything that could create heat and even put my radiator down to the lowest setting and opened a window, the next day (today) it feels like a ice pack and its working again :) Definitly going to be more careful next winter when it comes round to turning up the heat, lol.

*edit* It just happened again >_> While playing Wii Sports, training. Which is annoying because I hope to do fitness tests every day from now on (Since December I've gone from 80 years to 53!) But I'm just hoping it won't become a continuing occurance, if it starts happening in Zelda or anything like that I'll phone up Nintendo

Last edited:
Back