Super Mario 64 ?

redhawk

WiiChat Member
Jan 8, 2007
Do you have to get all of the stars or coins in each level to beat the game. It seems like I keep getting 2 out of 3, with the last one blank on each level. Is this good enough or do I need to go back and get the third star or coin.

redhawk said:
Do you have to get all of the stars or coins in each level to beat the game. It seems like I keep getting 2 out of 3, with the last one blank on each level. Is this good enough or do I need to go back and get the third star or coin.
No you do not. If memory serves me correctly, you need 70 stars to be able to get to Bowser.

70? i thought it was 50?

its been a while since i played. i bought the game on the VC and have like 40something stars. i totally forget how many you really need

What do you mean by "2 out of 3?" In the New Super Mario for the DS, there are 3 large coins per stage, but...

In Mario 64, there are 7 stars available in each of the 15 stages (1 for each of 6 "tasks" in the level and 1 per level for getting 100 coins) and 15 hidden stars throughout the castle...

In any event, smuPoker is right, you only need 70 to beat the game...

you only need a certain amount to fight Bowser for the final time. Once you get 120 stars, Bowser says something else when you defeat him (realizing the amount of stars, blah blah blah) and then when you start the game again you can use the outdoor cannon to get on top of the castle and meet Yoshi who gives you a prize courtesy of the Super Mario 64 team.

The_Loose_Cannon said:
70? i thought it was 50?

its been a while since i played. i bought the game on the VC and have like 40something stars. i totally forget how many you really need
this part is very confusing to some people, but it's 70 stars, for the 2 other bowsers, if you don't have enough stars, there is an evil bowser laugh and a message onscreen telling you need more coins to play that bowser level, then locks you out, in the final bowser, you get the bowser laugh, and the message says "you need 70 stars to enter the 'Neverending Stairs' you need so and so many more stars", but the doors to the neverending staircase opens and you can climb the stairs to nowhere that never end with an, what seems to be an increasingly pitched melody as you run up the stairs, but if you have 70 stars, the stairs end at the final bowser, 50 stars is the basement (lava) bowser, and 20 or 25 stars is the first bowser, if you get all 120 stars, you get access to the cannon outside the castle and you can go into the black room of death (the glitch location where they display a little of the inside when you are outside, and vice versa when you open the door), the way out of the BROD is on the inside part where you can walk through the wall space between the door and the other wall or either side

Back