Taxes

[DT]

Gearhead Surf Coder
Aug 30, 2007
Vilano Beach, FL
Discuss. I'll start.

F' Me.

Ouch :lol:

The BIL is a CPA which is super nice - I just get a package with green tabs that indicate "Sign Here" and "Initial Here" which I do with reckless abandonment. :D

Having to pay is a strange duality - it shows good positive cashflow (obviously huge fiscal plus), but doesn't make writing that check any easier (especially when you reflect on the amount of stuff it could purchase).

Anyway, figure this would be a fun place for payers to hold hands and weep, or for the kids who are getting money back to rejoice, etc.

Last edited:
Taxes- How I despise that word. :lol:
Seriously, 17.5% in the UK is the highest percentage that I have ever come across. That is £17.50 taken away for every £100 that we earn.
I guess we will just have to learn to live with it. :lol:

Norway's 25% beats that. It's brutal, but they earn SOOO much more money there. How I love that country.

Here in Canada, I'm not really all that sure about taxes taken away on my paycheck. I just know it's thankfully not a lot, but I think that's definitely because I don't make much money at all. Some of it is taxes, and some goes into a Canada Pension Plan for me.
I know sales tax is 13%. It's soooo annoying. But it's slowly declining, it was 15% under our last administration.

I dont make much. Topeka is flooded with people and blah blahs but short on jobs. 5 police agencies though...:wtf:
Unless you want to be a cop or politician (or start your own job), you're not getting a worthwile job that will pay you more than bare minimum (if that) so I barely make due.
Not much back in taxes either.

mushroomedmario said:
i watched a video(zeitgeist) two days ago, and it says there is no law (in u.s.) that actually requires you to do your taxes......

That video (and their interpretation of several laws and amendments) is painfully wrong. It circulated on another forum, where several of the members who are tax attorneys (and one fellow with a JD who specialized in Constitutional Law) got a *HUGE* laugh out of it.

FWIW, a huge component of the "no tax" argument comes from an attempt to claim the 16th amendment was never ratified (which, FYI, was thrown out by the supreme court). The 16th Amendment clearly reads:

"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration"

Last edited:
[DT] said:
That video (and their interpretation of several laws and amendments) is painfully wrong. It circulated on another forum, where several of the members who are tax attorneys (and one fellow with a JD who specialized in Constitutional Law) got a *HUGE* laugh out of it.

FWIW, a huge component of the "no tax" argument comes from an attempt to claim the 16th amendment was never ratified (which, FYI, was thrown out by the supreme court). The 16th Amendment clearly reads:

"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration"

sweet, thanks for clearing that up, yeah i've found a couple of other bad things about the video too, but my friends praise it lol

mushroomedmario said:
sweet, thanks for clearing that up, yeah i've found a couple of other bad things about the video too, but my friends praise it lol

Oh heck, I think everything is worth watching! I watched it too, then did a little independent research on some specific topics I felt were erroneous.

It's actually a pretty interesting topic - some people would say that taxing wages is in effect involuntary servitude (violation of the 13th), and by being required to file a return violates the 5th (self incrimination), however those have been overturned in most attempts to use them to dodge paying.

JAKE196 said:
For some reason I read the title as 'Texas' and then i started reading your post and I was liek :wtf:

That puts a whole different spin on this thread :lol:

...and since we choose to pay our taxes for the homestead on our own, those are due right now too! This month is racking up some serious expense :crazy:

Oh do i hate this time of year, but love it to.

Hate it cuz i feel like i dont sleep and i am FOREVER in this office. And everything is on a freakin deadline.
Love it cuz i make a lot more money overtime.

Byuakuya said:
Taxes- How I despise that word. :lol:
Seriously, 17.5% in the UK is the highest percentage that I have ever come across. That is £17.50 taken away for every £100 that we earn.
I guess we will just have to learn to live with it. :lol:
haha...
that 17.5% tax is VAT not tax slapped on your wages...
so for most things you buy from england, the government get 17.5% of the price.

Tax slapped on your income depends on how much you earn. my dad gets quite a bit, and thus the government charge him about 43% of his wages.

Back