Tiger Woods 2007 - My Review

doctorbian

WiiChat Member
Mar 14, 2007
Hey guys. The game came out on the 13th in Australia...it doesn't seem to be out anywhere else yet so I thought I'd post my review so you guys can be a bit better informed...

GAMEPLAY - I gotta admit, i'm a bit disappointed but not totally disappointed. I was really hoping for true to life swing tracking with swing tempo, speed & clubface angles. Unfortunately what I got was a bit of a "hit & miss" swing mechanic that doesn't quite make for a greatly consistent game. Everyone who plays golf knows how keeping your head still is an important aspect, but the only way to hit a 3/4 shot is to start your downswing when your golfer on screen reaches the 3/4 point in his backswing. The on-screen action is in no way related to your actions other than to initiate the backswing, then initiate the downswing. Speed comes into it a bit, tempo comes into it a bit as well...but it's a very inconsistent reading. Chipping & pitching is quite difficult. Putting is pretty easy. 6 out of 10.

PRESENTATION - A tale of 2 extremes. It's awesome playing holes like the 17th at St Andrews, 17th at Sawgrass, 18th at Pebble Beach etc. This was half the reason I bought the game. However, the menu system sucks & feels like Winning Eleven Soccer...really hard to navigate, understand etc. It's not straightforward to get a wind-speed reading & what is even more frustrating is that the distance from the hole on the green only comes up for a split second. All in all, it's a bit frustrating & feels like the game has been rushed out rather than the finishing touches being added to the presentation. No crowds either which is a bit disappointing. Presentation is the most disappointing aspect of the game for me...even the simple task of buying new clubs is extremely frustrating. 4 out of 10.

SOUND - pretty normal stuff...7 out of 10.

GRAPHICS - ok...pretty good by the Wii's current standards but nothing on the X360. 7 out of 10.

LASTING APPEAL - I'll keep going because I'm a golfer & am determined to master the games quirks. I'll play 2 handed to stay authentic & want to break 60 someday. I've played about 6 full rounds so far & haven't broken par yet (on the hardest difficulty) so the level of challenge is there. 8 out of 10.

Interesting note...I played 90% of the way through the X360 version & NEVER had a hole in one. I scored a hole in one on the hardest difficulty on my 7th hole. I've also holed out from 100 yards as well.

Hope it helps guys.

Doc

I'm really wanting this game, but was unable to find it on a quick first Wal-Mart visit. It sounds indeed like it was rushed out by your review, and the '08 version will probably be out into the summer. But like most of us golf fans and would be players, etc, how can we resist? Anybody else have any input on the quality of this game? How would any of you compare it to Wii Sports golf? Are the controls similar to it? I found Wii Sports golf to be awesome, but of course lacking in the tournament and varying courses category. Does this game fill that void?

I think this game is a must have for the Wii.. I have 07 for X360 and play strictly online... Can't wait to actually swing a wii club... Then again, I also bought Super Swing Golf and will probably buy any other golf game that comes out...

Good Review, I agree totally. Not sure if its my game or just me, however when I try to zoom with the A button all I get is a glove and NO ZOOM. Is this a game problem or am I just a noobie? How can there not be a way to zoom and see your potential target. The manual and tutorial both say the A button should zoom, however all I get is the glove and NO ZOOM. Could someone help me out with this???

Back