Trucks vs. SUVs

sherwood3570

infused
May 20, 2007
Michigan
Wii Online Code
1830-2062-7374-0757
I'm writing a compare and contrast paper on Trcuks vs. Suvs. I guess I just wanted to know what you people think. I personally prefer SUV's but I'm not bias or anything. If you could, just tell me...or leave some explanation of your choice.

I appreciate it.

I believe both have their purposes and their places in peoples lives, each has its pros and cons, some the same others not. I believe that if your main use of the vehicle is transportation and urban living then I would have to say SUV's are more practical than trucks, but if you live in a rural area, have large pets, and need to tow things (horses/quads/dirtbikes/etc.) then trucks are by far the better choice, I personally would go with a truck over an SUV, but that's my outdoor and somewhat rural upbringing coming to the surface.

SUV's=family haulers

Trucks=equipment/any crap you need to move haulers

nowadays, SUV's are just to transport the most amount of people with the most amount of comfort. Trucks are also about hauling the most amount of people with the most amount of comfort, but while also being able to haul the most amount of crap!

This is more of what I'm into. Not so much the color/graphics on the F250, but that stance/size lift.
Ford-Superduty-Lift-Kits.gif

Couple of my buddies trucks, I like the F250, and the F150 is pretty much stock.
BrettsNewFordPre-BigLiftHeathsTruck.jpg

Nice lifted F150, if I were to get an F150 that's what size I'd go with.
Liftedf-150.jpg

blueovalboy7 said:
I believe both have their purposes and their places in peoples lives, each has its pros and cons, some the same others not. I believe that if your main use of the vehicle is transportation and urban living then I would have to say SUV's are more practical than trucks, but if you live in a rural area, have large pets, and need to tow things (horses/quads/dirtbikes/etc.) then trucks are by far the better choice, I personally would go with a truck over an SUV, but that's my outdoor and somewhat rural upbringing coming to the surface.

Yeah, I'd pretty much say the same thing - for utilitarian use, a truck with more hauling capacity (weight and size) can't be beat. Fridge? No problem. Some SUV's? Problem.

Trucks *can* have more towing capacity too, especially when you get into like the 2500 series HD's with massive torquey turbo deisels - these things can do 12K-13K hitched weight (much more on some models with more exotic tow rigging).

SUV's depending on the manufacturer *can* have as much luxury accommodation as a high end sedan, and can be made to perform much more like a car. There are high performance SUV's in excess of 500HP that will outrun most cars. Also SUV's can be made to easily accomodate 5 people, and up to 7 (the latter more than any extended cab).

Some SUV's are built on a car platform so they're very much like a slightly lifted car with a little extra cargo room. Others are built on a truck or dedicated chassis and can be pretty serious offroad vehicles.

We have an X5 4.4i we take all over the beach, and tow our boat with, but I'd say with the sport package it's much more "tuned" to onroad usage (it handles and accelerates about like a 5-series - BMW even coined the "SAV" term for the X series, Sport Activity Vehicle :lol: )

~DT

An extended cab truck is pretty much more advantageous imo. You can haul freeloading friends in the back and rugged cargo in the bed. I wouldn't want to put dirty mahinery in an SUV and risk damage. Anyways, Ford has to step thei SUV game up if they want to compete against GM. I prefer muscle cars, but the SVT Lightning would have to be my favorite truck.

Master Foot said:
An extended cab truck is pretty much more advantageous imo. You can haul freeloading friends in the back and rugged cargo in the bed. I wouldn't want to put dirty mahinery in an SUV and risk damage. Anyways, Ford has to step thei SUV game up if they want to compete against GM. I prefer muscle cars, but the SVT Lightning would have to be my favorite truck.

You can put dirty friends in the bed too :lol:

Love Lightnings - almost bought one a few years back. Got a friend with one that's got a bigger blower, exahust, custom ECU, etc., sitting at about 500 HP.

Still by far the best looking "performance truck" and because of the weight and ease-of-tune, much better performer than the bloated Dodge SRT.

[DT] said:
You can put dirty friends in the bed too :lol:

Love Lightnings - almost bought one a few years back. Got a friend with one that's got a bigger blower, exahust, custom ECU, etc., sitting at about 500 HP.

Still by far the best looking "performance truck" and because of the weight and ease-of-tune, much better performer than the bloated Dodge SRT.
I used to be obsessed with the lightning, and I haven't heard much about whether or not they are bringing it back, I know they had a concept that looked amazing, and pushing 500 hp and 500 ft-lb tq. I respect the power from the SRT, but the styling of all the current dodge vehicles (with exception of the viper) is terrible.
FordLightningConcept.jpg

As for SUVs or SAVs according to DT, I agree that there are some amazing SUVs out there and they are useful. I drove a Tahoe for a few days and there wasn't anything I didn't like about it, convenient, smooth, and just nice. I would really like to drive the SRT-8 Grand Cherokee, it has a 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds and 420 hp, 420 lb-ft tq.
800px-Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_SRT8.jpg

Also being that I have some experience with this influx of turbo diesel powered heavy duty trucks, they are awesome haulers with the newest Ford Diesel being 6.4L turbocharged pushing 350 hp, and 650 ft-lb tq from the factory, and the new GM Diesels pushing a 6.6L turbocharged motor rated at 365 hp, and 650 ft-lb tq with each capable of towing 12,000+ lbs.

Last edited:
That Lightning Proto is sick - I'd like to see another one in production. A buddy of mine has a SRT-8 Jeep, hahaha, it's *quick* too - he's done a few tweaks, but right out of the box it's as fast as most cars (looks good too).

I love the massive TQ Turbo Diesels "Hitch up the house Ma, we're gonna tow it to a new lot..." :lol:

I agree, the Concept lightning looks amazing, but I read somewhere they scrapped it, tis unfortunate.

Have you had a chance to drive the ST-8? I would have to say that I very much enjoy Jeeps, but generally the older Wranglers and Cherokees, great offroad vehicles, almost rolled mine a couple times :D "drifting" on a raised dirt road and yea couldn't get it back before going down the side and getting up on two wheels then turning into it and pulling out of it. (Scared the hell out of me)

I like your diesel comment, and it is pretty accurate, the GMC site said their truck was capable of towing 13000 pounds and the Ford site said theirs was capable of 16000 pounds, I mean what are you going to be pulling that requires that? Anyways, I love powerbraking my dads diesel just enough to get the turbo spooling then I punch it from lights, (not fast by anymeans, but I've beaten a few Hondas with it:D).

I tend to stay away from American vehicles, they turn me off I guess. I like vehicles to be more practical, for off-road that is.

moab4.jpg

1.jpg

1993_80_Series_LandCruiser.jpg

I don't want to sound rude, but try to make it through the Kalahari in a F-150 or Tahoe or something lol. When I see a vehicle, I see what potential it has to offer, not how many looks I can get when cruising down 3rd street.

It's my thread, thought I'd share my opinion :smilewinkgrin:

EDIT: That new Jeep, I heard its wicked fast.

Last edited:
I know what you mean, I look at a truck or suv and I see the potential it has, either offroad or show. I would take a Jeep over any other suv when it comes to offroading, though I do have respect for other suvs I just wouldn't go with anything but a Jeep. This is what I like for offroading.

cherokee_lift_kits.jpg

img_0209_10_2.jpg

f82cdc26.jpg

Also I like this on the less practical side, but just as fun. Pics are of my buddies' dad's sand "Jeep"

KurtsDadsSandJeep1.jpg

KurtsDadsSandJeep.jpg

Last edited:
It's amazing, the body is entirely carbon fiber. One expensive toy, but his dad has a lot of toys, I believe he has 4 early to late 60s corvettes, plus a flat fender wrangler with a well built chevy 350 in it. Along with a motor home, a cherokee like the second picture of the cherokees I posted, and an early Ford truck from the great american race. All of these are housed in his huge 6 bay shop and has a car port on the side for the motor home. Drives a newer Chevy crew cab truck and his wife drives a 5-series bmw. Needless to say I'm envious of him.

Back