easter vs christmas

The rabbit and eggs are both ancient pagan fertility symbols. The date of Easter does not correspond to the actual anniversary of Christ's resurrection.
The name Easter is derived from "Eostre", the pagan goddess of the spring.

Christmas has similar origins. The date of Christ's birth is not known but is almost certainly not during the winter because the Bible's account of Christ's birth indicated the shepherds were staying the nights out in the fields with the flock. They don't do that during the winter. The date of Christmas corresponds to the pagan Roman festival of Saturnalia, the god of agriculture. Gifts were also exchanged during the Saturnalia festival. Other Christmas items such as holly, mistletoe, Yule logs, the Christmas tree, etc. all have similarly pagan origins that have nothing to do with God or Christ.

Given the harsh warnings in the Bible not to mix in with false religion, you have to wonder how God feels about these celebrations.

Skippy said:
The rabbit and eggs are both ancient pagan fertility symbols. The date of Easter does not correspond to the actual anniversary of Christ's resurrection.
The name Easter is derived from "Eostre", the pagan goddess of the spring.

Christmas has similar origins. The date of Christ's birth is not known but is almost certainly not during the winter because the Bible's account of Christ's birth indicated the shepherds were staying the nights out in the fields with the flock. They don't do that during the winter. The date of Christmas corresponds to the pagan Roman festival of Saturnalia, the god of agriculture. Gifts were also exchanged during the Saturnalia festival. Other Christmas items such as holly, mistletoe, Yule logs, the Christmas tree, etc. all have similarly pagan origins that have nothing to do with God or Christ.

Given the harsh warnings in the Bible not to mix in with false religion, you have to wonder how God feels about these celebrations.

Finally someone with an intelligent answer, you are correct. These holidays were inspired by pagan rituals and overrun by Christianity in it's efforts to promote itself as the one true religion of Rome in the early days. They have nothing at all to do with factual evidence of Christ's birth or resurrection, however in the early days of Christianity paganism was seen as a threat to the church so their holidays were absorbed into Christian doctrine in an attempt to nullify pagan rituals. Personally I am not christian so I celebrate neither, Buddha doesn't give us holidays:lol: and yes I am kidding...sheesh

My mom got these coconut-filled hershey's kisses for Easter and they are GODLY. There's caramel ones as well, and they're good too.

^Omg i want some
I wonder if jesus lyks chocolate :]

I love Christmas, especially Christmas Eve where we go to my mom's friend's house. She has 3 kids that I've known all my life & we're all really close, not to mention they have a big house. But it's a great time, everyone's happy, playing video games or pool or just talking to each other & sharing laughs. It just brings us all closer together.

Easter for us is really just another holiday. I'm not big on going to church, but I do a lot for my youth ministry group & pray on a regular basis...

God i am already sick from the chocolate, there is nothing worse than being sick from overeating chocolate, not even brainfreeze

Floydd said:
*shakes his head*
Both are signs of life and birth. A metaphor for Jesus dieing and rising back to life in three days, and giving us a brand new start and an actual shot of getting into heaven.

Damn, thats the most philosophical/deductive phrase i have ever seen on this forum

/HIGHFIVE!!!

I choose easter because its fun to hide easter eggs in hard to reach spots, especially if they're in plain sight for the kiddies.

Floydd said:
*shakes his head*
Both are signs of life and birth. A metaphor for Jesus dieing and rising back to life in three days, and giving us a brand new start and an actual shot of getting into heaven.

The use of rabbits and eggs as symbols of rebirth pre-dates Jesus in use in various pagan rituals regarding spring. This time of year, the earth is returns to life after being "dead" through the winter. Applying them to Jesus's death and resurrection became a convenient excuse to keep the non-Christians symbols around to not alienate those converting to Christianity from pagan belief systems. Christmas is a similar story with its symbols and even the date.

Christmas > Easter

Easter is alright, you get Chocolate and what not but the Family time and the time off is not that long.

Christmas is all about the family time, and is something I enjoy because its the one time a year I get to see most of my family. It also has all the other good days, like Boxing Day, New Year's Eve/Day etc.

Back