Turn off wiiconnect24!

rockkybox

WiiChat Member
Sep 26, 2006
London, England
wiiconect24 (the connected to Internet in standby mode thing) is, at the moment, completely useless, so turn it off! Its a pointless waste of power, its under the options thing, save yourself some money (and the planet!)

Well, why not just unplug the system? If you're so worried about wasting energy then just do that, the Wii will still "on", just look at the red light on the power button.

ummm...actually it isnt. it updates things without you knowing. like the updates mario strikers things. without wiiconnect24, it wouldnt work.

And plus, wiiconnect24, takes up almost no energy at all.

RDBRaptor said:
Well, why not just unplug the system? If you're so worried about wasting energy then just do that, the Wii will still "on", just look at the red light on the power button.

Yup i do that, but the wii uses about a 10th of the power in standby without the Internet connection, and i imagine the best way to get more people to save energy would be to have the wiimotes still work in turning it on + without the bother of unplugging it every time. I think wiiconnect24 is on as a default when you set up the Internet? so lots of the erm 'technologically challenged' people (don't pretend there arent any on these boards with questions like 'can i touch the sensor bar?' coming up) would just have it on, and therefore can save energy in a quite simple way by turning it off.

Unstoppable said:
ummm...actually it isnt. it updates things without you knowing. like the updates mario strikers things. without wiiconnect24, it wouldnt work.

And plus, wiiconnect24, takes up almost no energy at all.

Erm ok:

1. There have been no unknown updates on the wii so far, sure the blue light turns on, but you have to turn it on and accept it to download the update.

2. there have been no updates to games made over the Internet on the wii so far, and nothing to indicate that Mario strikers charged wii have them. Sure it has online gaming (which is hardly going to happen with your wii turned off), but that does not mean that you have to be online when the wii is on standby.

and as for your second point, i saw a power consumption site that showed a much higher electricity use with it turned on, ill try and find it again.

so anyway you've embarrassed yourself

EDIT: heres the power consuption site, 5x more with it on, put that in your pipe and smoke it http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-356-4.htm

Last edited:
if you're worried about energy why are you on a computer, why do you turn on your lights, you can get by without these. Why use a car? why buy foods from a supermarket when you can grow them. All that wasted energy powering things at the supermarket and the gas used to drive the goods there and everything.

dreamcastninja said:
if you're worried about energy why are you on a computer, why do you turn on your lights, you can get by without these. Why use a car? why buy foods from a supermarket when you can grow them. All that wasted energy powering things at the supermarket and the gas used to drive the goods there and everything.

hm what great examples! but i hope you've noticed that i didn't say 'stop using your wii, never plug it in or turn it on' i don't mind using energy for entertainment or things that are vital, or for things that make life drastically more simple like being able to buy food, but pointless use should be stopped, do you not see what I'm saying?

Actually, WiiConnect 24 often gets updates you don't know about.....

No, they're not full system updates. Nor are they game updates. However you get plenty of news and weather updates all the time. If you turn WiiConnect24 off it has to update these features when you use them, which isn't such a big deal.

paintba||er said:
It hardly uses any energy. It might cost you 50¢ a month or something, but if you can't afford that then you probably shouldn't have a Wii.

EXACTLY.

Nintendo designed the Wii to use the smallest possible amount of energy when in standby mode. It uses way less energy that you think. Its not costing you more than a dollar a month. Big Deal.

period.

DazzeL said:

No, they're not full system updates. Nor are they game updates. However you get plenty of news and weather updates all the time. If you turn WiiConnect24 off it has to update these features when you use them, which isn't such a big deal.

yup well actually alot of the wind has gone out of my sails now i see its only $1 a month, but erm all together all the wiiconnect24s left on are probably using a fair wack of energy.... and good point about those channels using it, i was a bit livid that they hadnt found an actual use for it yet, but i suppose this is a use, just not a very exciting one

Yeah they did a study or whatever and it only costs about a dollar a month! [SARCASM]What a waste of energy![/SARCASM]

Last edited:
DazzeL said:

Actually if you turn WiiConnect24 off then whenever you want to use the weather or news channels you must go into your settings and turn WiiConnect24 on. I'm not going to go through the hassle of turning it on and off just to save 50¢. Plus I like being notified if there is an update or something new, as I rarely turn my Wii on anymore, so otherwise I wouldn't know.

Well, if everyone left their Wiis on then it would come up to be $7-8 million a month. That's about $90 million a year, not counting new Wii sales. Of course, that's a drop in the ocean compared to the costs of watching television, doing something on the computer, and using the lights. Also, all of that is nothing compared to keeping your car fueled.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that we should look at the bigger issues rather than focus on the smaller ones right now :wink:
(lol I feel like I'm back in my Fundamentals of Ecology class again)

RDBRaptor said:
Well, if everyone left their Wiis on then it would come up to be $7-8 million a month. That's about $90 million a year, not counting new Wii sales. Of course, that's a drop in the ocean compared to the costs of watching television, doing something on the computer, and using the lights. Also, all of that is nothing compared to keeping your car fueled.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that we should look at the bigger issues rather than focus on the smaller ones right now :wink:
(lol I feel like I'm back in my Fundamentals of Ecology class again)
Eh, I could care less what it costs the whole world.

Back