Uh oh: PS3 accepts External HDs. Will the Wii?

COLDshiver

Wii Owner
Sep 14, 2006
America
Wii Online Code
4532-8683-6668-7765
unluckily enough, but i knew it was coming. The PS3 accepts external Hard drives through it's USB drives. We have yet to wait to see if the Wii will accept it. Hopefully they do, it'll destory PS3 indeed

SOURCE

No, it accepts SD memory. That's all I know so far at least. And by the looks of it so far, there isn't much boundaries with the memory so far, and they're available in huge sizes! Think of it this way, Wii really doesn't need that much memory to operate, unlike the PS3's enormous saves and huge 3d rendered worlds, the Wii is much simpler!

It probably will. Even if it doesnt at launch they would just need a small firmware update for wii to make it work. External drives are about as plug and play as it gets. Then again I don't really know why you would even want to hook up an external drive. a 1gb SD card will hold loads of game info. Game savs are nothing but coded files that tell the game information about items and where you are at in the game etc. etc.

vagrant said:
It probably will. Even if it doesnt at launch they would just need a small firmware update for wii to make it work. External drives are about as plug and play as it gets. Then again I don't really know why you would even want to hook up an external drive. a 1gb SD card will hold loads of game info. Game savs are nothing but coded files that tell the game information about items and where you are at in the game etc. etc.

You're right, they just all text. I remember seeing in the IGN Wii interface video and it showed that there were around several thousand slots on the internal memory

COLDshiver said:
You're right, they just all text. I remember seeing in the IGN Wii interface video and it showed that there were around several thousand slots on the internal memory

Exactly. People don't seem to understand that even for computer games, all you are saving is an ascii file that tells everything. It's not like you are saving anything with actual images or anything. Just because the game console changes, doesn't mean you are taking up way more space to save games.

And I believe SD cards work a lot different than GCN memory cards and prior consoles, but I haven't played GCN in a long time so I am not positive. But I believe GCN and consoles before saved in blocks, kind of like a really ghetto hard drive with huge tracks. Which actualy meant a lot more space was going to waste. Where as on a flash storage device you save things more like you would with an older FAT file system which works better for small files.

Last edited:
How is this a negative? People who want the PS3 will have another storage option (not that they need it; internal 60GB HDD and memory stick) and it will sort of force Nintendo to allow for it as well considering it's the only next gen console lacking massive storage, though like vagrant said, there's no real need for Wii to have a ton of space because games saves are tiny and VC games aren't that much larger, except for maybe N64 and/or new, completely original VC franchises.

*EDIT* Also, flash memory cards have no moving parts, making them much more secure than a hard drive which could have a head crash from being dropped, rendering it useless. Also, flash memory cards have faster read/write speeds compared to HDDs.

Last edited:
I gurantee it will be able to recognize external hard drives at one point or another. If it allows for SD cards I don't really see why it wouldn't, a sd card works the same way as a flash drive or externaql drive.

And nintendo 64 games are around 30 mb. At least I know OoT and MM are anyways.

vagrant said:
And nintendo 64 games are around 30 mb. At least I know OoT and MM are anyways.
If those games, which are some of the largest, are only 30MB then that's great.

Wikipedia says:
The Nintendo 64 had over 418 games during its existence, 297 released in North America[1], 95 Japan exclusives and 5 European exclusives.
Source

So, I live in America which means there are only about 300 N64 games that could potentially be made downloadable via VC. So 300 x 30MB = 9000MB or aprx. 8.7GB. Subtract about 100 of those games because they were either stupid games, games that other companies now have ownership of (like Rare), or games that just weren't that popular. So, if you have the dough to buy all those, $10 a pop which = $2000, you could fit all those onto a couple 4GB SD cards or one 8GB SD card. Awesome.:D

MetroidZ said:
isnt it only the expensive ps3 that allows this? thats what i saw before.

The expensive ps3 has 60gb harddrive while the less expensive but by no means cheaper version has 20gb harddrive

Back