update questions

jdamien1

WiiChat Member
Jul 26, 2011
For the first time we connected our wii console to the internet and updated our console. Now when we turn the wii off our sensor bar light stays on red and our memory card stays red - also our wii on button when we turn the wii off turns yellow instead of red - does any of this mean anything, i.e., we stay connected to the internet? If so, is there a way to disconnect from the internet and only hook to it when we want to?

This Wii's power button has three lights to determine it's current status; green obviously, is on. Yellow means that the Wii has "Wii Connect 24" turned on, which means it's often looking for updates and other sorts of content Nintendo sends to Wii owners, like famous game release announcements. The Red light means the Wii is truly powered off, and won't be constantly using it's internet capabilities.

And yes, there's a simple and easy way to to stop the Wii from doing all this internet business on it's own. When you turn on the Wii and go to the main screen with all the channels, in the lower-left hand corner, you'll see a button. Click it, and you'll go to another screen. Click whichever option isn't memory management (I forget the name, sorry), and scroll through the options until you find the tab "Wii Connect 24". Click it, and simply turn it off. Then the Wii should turn off fully and the power button's light turn to red.

Hope this helps. :)

Hey SSBfreakCK,

Thanks for your reply. I did go to the settings and found the Wii Connect 24 and turned it off and then when I powered down the Wii I got the red light and all other items were off. Thanks for your quick response. We are on a limited WiFi connection with Verizon and we only have 5GB data usage each month so don't want the Wii to be constantly using the net and using up our data. Thanks! JD

For the first time we connected our wii console to the internet and updated our console. Now when we turn the wii off our sensor bar light stays on red and our memory card stays red

What sensor bar light and memory card light? The only light is the power light (green, red, or orange) and the blue disc slot light.

Skippy,
We have a cordless sensor bar and when it is plugged in to the console it has a red light showing that it is charging. Also, I have an SD memory card installed for more memory and it lights up when the console is turned on. Both of these stayed lit when the console was turned off, but instead of a red light as in the past, the console had a yellow light. SSBfreakCK above did tell me how to get the light back to red by turning off the Wii Connect 24. However, thanks for your comment. JD

Back