Voice Chat?

Wiinter

Audentes fortuna iuvat
Apr 20, 2007
Wii Online Code
8745-5143-2651-5351
There are some upcoming online titles like strikers and pokeman, but I haven't heard anything about voice chat functionality. You'd think they'd set up a VOIP channel on the system, and then enable it for every game that can use it, but I'm wondering if it's going to be on a per game basis like the DS.

Anyone know? Are there bluetooth headsets on the horizon? Any sources of info?

Official news can be found on Gamespot. According to Gamespot the Wii online mode for that Mario Soccer game is no chat, no voice chat, nada. You can connect to people who share your friend code, and like X-band connect and wait for an opponent. That's about it for this game. Sorry, no chat what-so-ever.

Thanks sagema. That's disappointing to hear. I hold out hope that the Wii is going to be a good online system in the long run, but it sure is struggling now.

Recently Reggie was bragging about people using the Everybody Votes Channel--how they get people to use that crap I have no idea, but if they get the impression they can just throw us any old crap and we'll be happy, we're in trouble.

Wii_BrEnDo2007 said:
hey itd the FIRST online game give the online system time!

Wiinter said:
I hold out hope that the Wii is going to be a good online system in the long run, but it sure is struggling now.

I am

well, if nintendo made a headset for the DS, a handheld, im sure they would make one for their counsel. it only makes sense.

Shoko said:
well, if nintendo made a headset for the DS, a handheld, im sure they would make one for their counsel. it only makes sense.

I agree, and since they already have experience developing online multi-player for the DS, you'd think they'd be starting from that point and using that experience to make the Wii experience better, faster rather than starting from scratch.

Communication is vital to online games. Without it, you can't tell the difference between playing a person and AI most times.

High tier characters stick out more. For example on X-band all the hard to beat players would pick Ryu(Super Street Fighter 2) and almost no one else. You began to hate Ryu. Without a chat system you start to associate the game more by what the opponent picks. In Resident Evil Outbreak the dumb players usually chose default Kevin. Good old Kevin.

sagema said:
Communication is vital to online games. Without it, you can't tell the difference between playing a person and AI most times.

True. To wit, in semi-coop when you have teams going up against each other, ala Halo or Allegiance, voice chat is vital for organizing raids and attacks. It's fast, efficient, and a bloody lot more fun than breaking from the game to type (or not having any comm at all).

"It is possible to play against stragners, but there are no communication options aavailable, ensuring a safe online environment for your child."

http://mariostrikers.nintendo-europe.com/enGB/
search in there way at the bottom
*sigh* hopefully they don't take that same approach to all the games, but i wonder if a non game specific online chat could be made. then again, that would require a wii specific mic :/

Solard said:
search in there way at the bottom
*sigh* hopefully they don't take that same approach to all the games, but i wonder if a non game specific online chat could be made. then again, that would require a wii specific mic :/

I don't think there was ever any danger of Nintendo letting us use universal accessories. :smilewinkgrin: Strikers doesn't appeal to me anyway, but I hope it isn't a sign of things to come.

Nintendo Should have a console-side restriction ability so that parents can allow/disallow comm. I don't begrudge them the effort, but this friend code stuff (or worse, no comm option at all) couldn't be executed in a more obstructive way. The more I learn about it... :mad5:

Back