voice chat still might happen

blume9370

WiiChat Member
Oct 20, 2007
The Nintendo Wii is currently the only gaming system unable to give players the ability to voice chat over the internet. Though a few games have been released on the Wii featuring online play, none allow players to converse through them. It's a frustrating limitation.

During a question and answer session in a Nintendo conference call this morning, Reggie Fils-Aime addressed this issue.

According to Fils-Aime, the system is clearly capable of this function, and Nintendo is constantly adding and tweaking features of the Wii system through system updates. The issue boils down to locking down the specific technologies and getting the specific peripheral to allow voice chatting.

Fils-Aime noted that, since Nintendo found this tech and peripheral on the Nintendo DS, he "wouldn't be surprised at all" if the feature appeared on Wii. "It's something we value and constantly look at."

i found this artice on ign.com

cyberzomby said:
very very very old news.

This has been posted here already.

well it is 2 weeks old i don't know about very very very old

alot talk about a mic, and voice chatting... if anything they would not say anything official until like pretty close to a release date or somthing

blume9370 said:
well it is 2 weeks old i don't know about very very very old

Thats 14 days, which is 336 hours, which is 20160 minutes.

In the terms of news being reported nearly instantaneously, that pretty old.

voice chat ain't going to happen. Look at upcoming games like brawl where you set a message to a certain button. If ninty wanted the wii to do things just because other consoles do then the wii would just turn into some sort of evil sony/microsoft clone.....

XLaw said:
Don't really see the point in it.

hard to play co-op when the other person can't hear you. also, human's are capable of saying THOUSANDS of different things. far more that can be pre-programed into 4 buttons.

Also, you never know what might be happening. What if you need to warn someone of an ambush (assuming you are playing a war game), but you don't have that set as a message? well hell.

I'm very pro-headset. But i can understand why people don't want one.

I hope the headset happens. It will take online gaming on the wii to a whole other level. And this seems very plausible considering th wii was a system made to bring people together to have fun. *Crosses fingers & toes*

Moose said:
Thats 14 days, which is 336 hours, which is 20160 minutes.

In the terms of news being reported nearly instantaneously, that pretty old.
Thank you.

I didnt knew it was that "young". :p:p You guys got me

doesnt the wii use bluetooth for the controllers? if so would be brilliant if nintendo set it up so you could use your mobile phone handsfree kit :D

Seriously Nitendo has to start and "getserious about online play". Its the next generation and they are being surpassed by their handheld counterpart because DS has online voicechat and the wii doesnt.

Back