Wii with Advanced Voice Recognition?

Supermariomp3

WiiChat Member
Jul 3, 2006
A rumor is going around forums that Nintendo's new console, the Wii, will have advanced voice recognition. It started after a forum member on ign talked about a system patented by nintendo in which the person talks into the microphone and the text appears on screen.
“The system works using an advanced voice recognition system which Nintendo has been developing for several years. When a user speaks the sound is converted into on screen text and sent to the other players. However, rather than just plain text being sent the system also picks up the tone, pitch and volume of the voice and translates that into colour, font size and character set. For example, if a player shouts ‘I win’ loudly into the microphone the on screen text may be all capitalized, and in a large red font; conversely if a player speaks quietly the font may be a pastel shade and smaller.”

This system also allows online voice communication to be easily censored by the user.” “This system also allows online voice communication to be easily censored by the user.”
Nintendo is supposedly using voice chat this way because of what it learned about using voice chat on the ds.
If you want my opinion, I think its great because it prevents users from hearing profanity while they are playing online and it prevents the user of the burden of buying a keyboard because whatever you say will be typed on screen. This can also be great for just plain instant messaging.
But remember take this with a grain of salt, we still do not have confirmation by Nintendo.:D

But, I mean, would it be able to translate weird accents? Or words like: PWN? and if you said: Oh my God, would it be put as OMG?

the microphone will not be in the wiimote, Nintendo said that they are gonna use a wireless headset

Sovieto said:
But, I mean, would it be able to translate weird accents? Or words like: PWN? and if you said: Oh my God, would it be put as OMG?
Well, if you say Oh my God, its gonna say Oh my God. How ever you pronounce PWN its gonna be spelled the way you say it. About the accents, there aren't many words in the English language that have accents but I'll guess the system will be smart enough to know. And there will probaly be an option where you change the language if you speak another language. These are all guesses and it is still a rumor.

Well the full article says that Nintendo has been working on this for years now. So it may be possible that it could be on the Wii. But don't take this seriously though, it is still a rumor. But I hope its true.

Back