Weeks go by, no mention of the new Wii version?

ciper

May 1, 2007
▐▄█▀█▄▌
Confirmation of the new version of the Wii being sold at retail stores across the world has been on other forums for about 2 weeks. I still havn't seen it mentioned here sooo,,,, yeah now it is.

The new revision has three legs broken off the chip that controls the DVD drive. The three legs are not required for the Wii to function so from the average users point of view nothing has changed.

It is still possible to access the serial port on the drive but you have to use a dremel or acid to expose a small portion of what remains of the legs inside the chip.

In short Nintendo has prevented the casual home user from making changes themselves. Good news for those who offer installation services!

Woah, for a minute I thought it was gonna be some huge drastic change. Glad to know that to the average paying consumer like me, it'll make no difference. :)

ZiG said:
Woah, for a minute I thought it was gonna be some huge drastic change. Glad to know that to the average paying consumer like me, it'll make no difference. :)
Yeah it wasnt like they set us up the bomb or anything. Its a good thing the serial number includes a date code so we can eventually tell what version a Wii is without looking inside.
for great justice

paintba||er: Well shoot! I missed that one Ill try to be useful either way. Here are some pictures of the first unmodable Wii being modified ;) Click to zoom

Before:
DSC00128.jpg

Dremel:
DSC00144.jpg

After:
DSC00152.jpg

Courtesy of wiimodmaster on psx-scene.

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw that 2 weeks ago. Now it is impossible to revert the mod if you need to send it in for service.

Owners in the UK have sent their Wii to Nintendo for repair after modification. Of course they had to pay out of pocket but last I heard unbricking a Wii after SPM firmware upgrade cost around 50 pounds

I have not heard any US version has the leg cut yet. So it is here now?

Last edited:
Why not find an older guy in your area that repairs electronics and pay him to install it? Its really not hard at all - I'm sure you are even capable.

A solderless mod chip wont likely exist considering the board layout changes between early Wiis and current Wiis and the newest cut leg Wiis. Besides that there is little money to be made in mod chips now that you can make your own for just a few bucks.

As Nike would say "Just Do It"

You can buy a WiiKey clone for $8. Why go for open chip? I agree that the solderless one will be totally useless when it finally comes out. Wired installation is the way to go if you want to mod it.

ciper said:
Yeah it wasnt like they set us up the bomb or anything.

Hahaha, nice. You're the first one that's made the connection.

Er, the first that's said anything, anyway..

I just heard that the new European PAL Wii is now shipped with D2C chip which none of the current mod chips work even with all the IC legs intact.

Last edited:
Heeey...

I think that original wiis are going to be going for a pretty penny on eBay :ihih:
'Cause I got no intention on modding my wii.
Others will.

And they'll pay 500 bucks for an early wii! :devil:

Now to get on-topic, these three "legs"....
That's how modders are able to ... Mod?

Back