New Wii Models Halt Modchip Functionality

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
It has been confirmed by Wiinja that new Wii models using the D2B Panasonic chipset fail to run the Wiinja, CycloWiz and WiiKey modchips.

The modchips do run well in 1st generation Wii consoles, but it seems newer models purchased in late January / early February have been modified.

Both the CycloWiz and Wiinja teams have confirmed the problem, and are already working on new versions to get around the Panasonic chipset.

Via: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=43950

Currently the only way known to check what drive model you have, is to open your Wii and check the following chip on the DVD drives PCB. The version shown below - "GC2-D2B" is the incompatible drive model.

Attachments

• dvdwii_big.jpg
    dvdwii_big.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,059
Okay whats a modchip and why are people so intent on messing with Nintendo's hardware? What benefits does a modchip give and aren't they illegal? Also whats homebrew?

MasterJedi2U said:
Okay whats a modchip and why are people so intent on messing with Nintendo's hardware? What benefits does a modchip give and aren't they illegal? Also whats homebrew?

Modchips in most cases are used to allow the console to boot unlicensed code, basically backup and copied games.

Homebrew is a term given to a game or piece of software that has been been developed by an individual user or team - independant of any officially licensed development team.

The legalities of using Modchips vary from Country to Country, but being that their main purpose is to allow consoles to boot and run copied games does put them very much in a grey area. Also i think that some Modchips contain bios code that is copyrighted - im not too sure though.

At least that's how i understand it.

Damn thats bad news for me anyway, even if I got my wii on launch day...
I hope that cyclowiz, wiinja and wiikey solve the problem quickly...

1st batch for mii

Gona be geting the chip (when its proven)and use it what they where intended for

IMPORTS
Im sick of waiting mounths for games to come out and still geting screwed over
Sod copys there not collectable

If only i knew how to install chips i would love to do it for my Wii. my xbox was modded and that saved me loads of money

Is not worth it! I am gonna stick to the original stuff. It is more fun playing a game which you have choosen and read about.
getting all the illegal games just makes you a spoiled kid. Who doesn´t know what he want to play......
Shame on all of you :ihih:

rtr1900 said:
getting all the illegal games just makes you a spoiled kid. Who doesn´t know what he want to play......
Shame on all of you :ihih:

Not sure if I will mod or not but you do bring a good point. With PC games I had so many burnt games that I never finished them anymore. This is probably why I stopped playing them. Became too spoiled I guess.

Well see the big problem is... Some people like to order games from japan such as naruto which we dont carry here 1 big reason for mod chips

i see the point about waiting for games

Here in Aus we are still waiting for elebits (eledees false rumor) other countrys have had this game for months
it really puts us behind the eight ball

for example if we get the really popular online games (ps3 or xbox) months after the rest of the world it makes it really difficult to be competative as we are up against players that have been playing for months

thats my rant :wink:

i0n said:
Modchips in most cases are used to allow the console to boot unlicensed code, basically backup and copied games.

Homebrew is a term given to a game or piece of software that has been been developed by an individual user or team - independant of any officially licensed development team.

The legalities of using Modchips vary from Country to Country, but being that their main purpose is to allow consoles to boot and run copied games does put them very much in a grey area. Also i think that some Modchips contain bios code that is copyrighted - im not too sure though.

At least that's how i understand it.

Yeah basically they're intended for the burning of Wii Games.
I've also heard rumors of people burning Game Cube games like this and turning them into Wii DVD style discs instead of the smaller ones.

Yes, some gamers will copy games they don't own. DEAL WITH IT. Theres nothing you can do about it. That being said, I don't think it should be condoned (ie its still not acceptable).

The real point of the matter, this is how programmers are able to learn and create homebrew games and applications. Ever check the cost of a dev system, let alone simply getting authorized to own one. Note that these coders could be the same programmers who (while young now) could grow up to make the next-next-next gen video game that you enjoy playing.

Yes, modchip's are beneficial and harmful, but in two completely separate ways.

Last edited:
Back