What is really Internet Channel

christophe

WiiChat Member
Jan 16, 2008
Hello everybody,

I would like to "buy" with my points the Internet Channel. I asked several questions to Nintendo, but, unfortunately, no answer. As far as i know, the Internet Channel is managed through Opera Explorer. I'd like to know what is the compatibility of that channel with classical Internet system : Quick Time, Windows Media player which are often request to run video on Internet.
If somebody has information regarding that and generally speaking what is not compatible with classical Internet through a computer I will be pleased.

The Internet Channel is a special version of the Opera web browser designed to run on the Wii (it's not "managed through Opera" and there no such thing as "Opera Explorer". And by "classical Internet" I'm assuming you mean a traditional computer-based web browser?).

There is no Quicktime or Windows Media capabilities. Flash version 7 is supported though (and hopefully newer versions if Adobe will ever release an updated SDK). You cannot download additional plugins or anything like that. It does support JavaScript (not to be confused with Java, which is not supported). And since it's on your TV (and not in high definition), the resolution is pretty limited, although there are some nice zooming controls.

It's good for basic browsing, YouTube viewing, and some Flash-based web games, but beyond that you're better off just using a computer.

Back