Why items are rarely considered for tournaments (Fun video)

Bio

WiiChat Member
Jan 25, 2009
This is definitely not the "Craziest One Time Occurence Ever" like the title claims, but a firm representation of why Items aren't considered in most tourneys.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr23UrYMVBE&feature=related[/ame]

The video isn't as great as it claims, but I regardless found this worth showing since most people here seem confused at the opinions made in the competitive arena of Brawl regarding things like tiers, stages, and, most importantly, Items.

Last edited:
2 stocked by a fully grown hot head.. lol. What a spammer n00b.

In your face, pro-item n00bs. :p ..On a tad more serious note but completely irrelevant note, I recently did a few FFAs.. as Captain Falcon I landed a sweet spot knee on a soccer ball, which pegged a Pit in the face, killing him. XD Later on, I scored a TRIPLE falcon punch, hit all 3 people at once. Better yet - THEY ALL DIED! LOL!

lol yeah this is why items own and having the knockback up like that, it's probably around 1.5 to cause a ko from a hothead.

I hate items. Only real brawlers dont use items. Plus, they sucked anyway lol.

Nono. Real Brawlers only use items in friendlies. N00bs rely on items and always have them on, even in an online tournament and such.

There's no shame in using items if it's just for fun. :p

Real Brawlers (well Maybe i should say good.) would be able to win in no matter what situation or stage or item. i personally really hate some items. but items that you can use to kill someone easily are easy to avoid sometime. i just turn some items off and keep them off, like hammers and keep the rest of them on. cuz being good at Brawl means to be good at every thing the game has to offer. like if you have to rely on items to win, your good with items on, not good at brawl. but at the same time if you say i need items off to be able to win, then your good with items off, not good at brawl. if your good at brawl then you should be able to win (or do "good") in any situation. i think the same way with stages. but in the end the game, i believe, is very unbalanced so i may not know wut im talking about

Last edited:
like if you have to rely on items to win, your good with items on, not good at brawl. but at the same time if you say i need items off to be able to win, then your good with items off, not good at brawl. if your good at brawl then you should be able to win (or do "good") in any situation. i think the same way with stages. but in the end the game, i believe, is very unbalanced so i may not know wut im talking about

Yes, the game is very unbalanced, especially with items and certain stages. :p

You make a very good point, Oskar. A good player should be able to beat a lesser player with items on or off. But in reality, it goes deeper than that. As you mentioned, certain items are rediculously overpowered, such as Assist Trophies (on some occasions) or Golden Hammer (when they don't malfunction :p). Items on/off is too vague, IMO.

That doesn't mean a worse player can't get lucky though, there is the fact items bring a huge amount of luck into a game. For example; a Bob-Omb falls out of the sky, you're charging a smash attack, and you get killed. Basically, that could cost you the match because of an unlucky circumstance (even though it's outragously funny; that's happened to me before :p).

Another example. You have a Homerun Bat. It's the most powerful battering item to be thrown; you can just spam throws, even if you're a bad player, and pummel someone. A pro may be able to dodge more frequently, but the luck that a powerful item is nearby the bad player adds a gamble to the game.

In short, while a better player does win more items on or off, just as you said, luck can still make a worse player win on occasion, some people just hate that. I'm one of them, actually; but even so, I still know how to have a fun, non-competitive match. :p That's all my point is. >.>

A side note: people who ALWAYS Brawl with items off need to lighten up and have a non-serious match once in awhile. :p Competitive matches are fun, but the occasional wacky, replay-worthy match is fun too, yeah?

^ Makes sense to me, everything you explained has happened to me and is understandable. They did make the game so its that way on purpose, so a rookie could come in and earn bragging rights against long time "pro" in a matter of 3 matches or so. they assumed thats wut we all wanted SSB to be like, they, as in Nintendo, are targeting familes instead of hard core gamers. i kinda like it tho, so lesser experienced friends of mine, or younger friends or siblings wont get upset or bored with it just because they lost. i like to look at the game as just plain fun. i dont really like it when its a competitive thing.

i kinda like it tho, so lesser experienced friends of mine, or younger friends or siblings wont get upset or bored with it just because they lost. i like to look at the game as just plain fun. i dont really like it when its a competitive thing.

That's the charm of Smash Bros.; anyone can pick up the game and just play at lower levels of skill, newbies actually have a chance against your average player.

Yet at the same time, the competitive enviorment can be fierce and is without mercy, making it a much better type of game for seasoned gamers or even experts to play and have fun.

In short, Brawl appeals to almost everyone. That's why people are still talking about it and actively playing on wi-fi, even though it's over a year old. Brawl = win.

Although, even though it's easy to play and learn, that won't stop a 7 year old brat from being a sore loser. But that's to be expected. :p

I agree with you 100% Seems like we just keep agreeing, its like we dont need to disguess cuz we will just agree. at least on this subject.

lol, looks like to great brawlers agreeing on true facts, I agree with it all, I remember losing to my friend who isn't as good as me at the game and I was going easy on him as Jigglypuff (XD) we had items on for a laugh and I hit a bob-omb and it made me lose the match, I HAD a reply of it but I don't know if I can find it =/ I have about 150 replays on my SD card and about 100 on wii memory.

Back