wii and ad hoc networks

SuperDuper

WiiChat Member
Jan 19, 2010
I know this has been posted about before but I don't see any definitive answers. I'm trying to get the Internet to my wii via an ad hoc wireless network from the computers wireless NIC. Here's the run down of what I want to happen

Internet comes from DSL company to DSL modem to my computer through wired NIC.
Internet goes out my computers wireless NIC and into the Wii.

I know several of you are going to tell me to shut up and buy a router. While I probably could afford it I don't think I should have to. I have made a similar network but without the wireless from my desktop to my laptop (into one NIC out another and into my laptop). My desktop is XP. Here is what I have done.

On my desktop, in the wired network connection window from my modem allowed internet connection sharing. Also on that network switched the DNS address from DHCP assigned to google public DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (that was just to make sure they worked since I never used them before, and posting this message is proof that they do). Also In the past I went into regedit and authorized IP forwarding for XP, (here is an explanation of IP forwarding.

Manually assigned my Wireless NIC the IP of 192.168.0.101, Mask 255.255.255.0. Left gateway and DNS blank on this one. Also under preferred networks added a network with SSID mywii, where I disabled data encryption. After doing this, mywii network appears in my list of available networks on my desktop. I connected to it, from my desktop.

On my Wii I searched for available networks, It did see mywii. I tried to connect but it didn't work. I manually assigned the wii to have IP 192.168.0.102, mask 255.255.255.0, gate 192.168.0.101 and DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Still didn't work, the message it says is "error code: 51030, unable to find an access point, check the SSID and try again." I have triple checked all my ip addresses. I don't understand why this doesn't work.

While I have learned much recently networked general isn't my forte, any assistance would be appreciated.

As a side note I understand that leaving an unsecured network open on my computer is a security risk. I do plan on going back and adding a WEP key after it gets up and running.

The wii won't connect to an adhoc wireless network. You need to setup your pc as a wifi hotspot, or access point. This is the only way a Wii console will connect to the home network.

As stated before, you will have to upgrade your OS to either Vista or Windows &, Win 7 being my fav as it will still run on XP systems. With this, you will have the wlan functionality with netsh.

Cheers

Back