"Ad Hoc" Network Connection

sherlocktheholmes

Grand Master of Funk
Apr 13, 2007
Northeast US
Has anyone tried (or heard of) an "ad hoc" network connection and knows whether or not it will work with the Wii?

Basically, you setup a compter-to-computer network in Windows where two wireless adapters communicate with one another and share an Internet connection without the use of a router. Last night, I actually got my Wii to recognize the "network" that I setup as an access point, but I get the error code 51330 each time I try to connect. I think the reason is the laptop that I'm using as the host computer is from my work and has intense security which I can't really disable. I'm really hoping someone else got this to work.

I know I'm being cheap by trying to avoid a router, but there's nothing wrong with saving some money. Plus I am trying to be a little bit different and also viewing this a "proof of concept" experiment.

Sorry for the long post. It's my first post, so go easy. Yes, I realize my username betrays me on this one...

The laptop was hooked up to a wired DSL modem. I was then trying to communicate between the two wireless card adapters to share the wired connection. The communication was successful because the Wii located the access point, but I couldn't get a connection. :mad2:

I tried that for the longest time last November right after I got my Wii... but I couldn't get it to work. I eventually had to just buy a router, worked flawlessly. I was on Vista though, not sure if that makes a difference, never tried it on XP though, just gave up on the Ad-hoc idea. Good luck though.

I have a d-Link DWL-G122 usb wifi adapter, which has an ad-hoc connection mode. I've managed to make the wii recognize the access point, but I just can't connect to my computer. I'm about to get a router, cause I think this really won't work...

Just download Ralink Tool for your D-Link thing. It includes an AP software. It worked for me.

Type in google "your device model" "chipset" and see what chipset has your card!

sherlocktheholmes said:
Has anyone tried (or heard of) an "ad hoc" network connection and knows whether or not it will work with the Wii?

Basically, you setup a compter-to-computer network in Windows where two wireless adapters communicate with one another and share an Internet connection without the use of a router. Last night, I actually got my Wii to recognize the "network" that I setup as an access point, but I get the error code 51330 each time I try to connect. I think the reason is the laptop that I'm using as the host computer is from my work and has intense security which I can't really disable. I'm really hoping someone else got this to work.

I know I'm being cheap by trying to avoid a router, but there's nothing wrong with saving some money. Plus I am trying to be a little bit different and also viewing this a "proof of concept" experiment.

Sorry for the long post. It's my first post, so go easy. Yes, I realize my username betrays me on this one...
I am trying something similar myself, my father has a dial-up connection (he dosen't want to pay for broadband), so I configured a computer to do ad hoc mode to turn the dial-up connection into wireless, I ran into a problem with the video driver, so I couldn't get to the settings of the wireless to get to it

Based on what you said, it probably is your security, I would say run the error number you have to see what the problem is, if it has anything to do with a firewall or something similar, then that would be your problem, do you have another computer to put in it's place?

[edit]I just looked ad the error code, see if you can change your wireless channel to either 1 or 11, i'm not sure if this is the same error code I got, but when trying to connect my Wii to my router, I had a similar problem, I changed my wireless channel to 1 and it worked just fine

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.

gamechaser001-I haven't been able to try another computer. My Gateway desktop doesn't have a wireless ethernet card, so it won't work. I'm convinced this type of connection might (about 10% convinced) work, but I think I've given up on it. I'm either going to buy the LAN adapter or buy a router. Glad to hear you and others tried to get creative with connecting their Wii.

What are you using on the laptop to make it act as a wireless access point. I believe the Wii will see ad-hoc networks, but it won't properly work with one.

Back