ad-hoc network connection

K here is the solution, i think,

I got more or less the same os the others here, don't have wireless internet so i use wired to my laptop, bridging it to my wireless on my laptop, broadcasting it, the wii finds it, but "error 51030, NO ACCESS POINT" that's basicly the error everyone gets, maybe it's becauze there is NO ACCESS POINT ... wireless routers got an hardware access point, laptops and such need a software access point, but that's my small problem, used to have a site where i could download one, but site doesn't exist anymore, only other software access point i found was vicomsoft, but that's only for MacOSX.

The only difference bout broadcasting wireless internet through your laptop or that usb stick from nintendo is that that stick got an hardware access point in it, and your laptop doesn't.

Now if anyone could help finding the program to have a software access point, or have an otherway around that, you will most likelly solve this 51030 problem

thx ;)

Hey there, finally found one, if you've got a wireless card that supports it though,
download the drivers from
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Communication/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=955
run setup and after the pc reboots you get a small icon in the taskbar, right-click and set 'use as AP'. Don't forget to allow in the settings of your 'normal' internet connection the allow acces via this..

It works for me, i have a wireless LAN pc card, not an internal one, don't know if it works for them as wel..
Hope it helps, if something's not clear, just ask, english is not my native language :)
cheers
stefan

Ye such a thing it is exactly, just the problem is that it's a driver for your type of wireless card, it's not compatible with other cards, so it does help, but only for you :)

but atleast we know how to solve the problem now, thx for the info stefan

K so there is a Software Access Point program which is exactly the thing you need to solve this problem without purchasing a wireless router or that wifi usb stick, problem is that the program is originaly made by PCTEL, called SoftAP, which doesn't exist anymore, although, Gigabyte and ASUS still use SoftAP, back in the days you could download the driver for those wireless cards and just install softAP, now the software doesn't work if you don't have the card, so from where i can see it, there is no solution for the 51030 problem if you don't have a wireless router or hardware/software access point.

Did anyone find another solution for setting up an adhoc network with the Wii, or is the SoftAP the only solution?

Ok so I believe I have solved each of these problems in one way or anotehr for the few situations i have heard here. The simpelst form is to go to this website http://www.dailywireless.org/2004/01/12/software-access-point-roundup/ which has a list of many licensed and open source software access poins for the majority of laptop wireless cards particularly any Intel card. As far as the ad-hoc which is supposedly uncompatible I have seemed to dodge this problem by settign the ip address that the laptop shares the connection from to the equivalent of a lynksis or microsoft router which is 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.0.254. If you wish for me to attempt and make things more clear or if either of these methods fails then please email me or post here and I will check back in a couple of days.

marq08 if you could give a step-by-step guide on how you set up the ad-hoc it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Aye, looks like the correct way, although i got alot of troubles getting that program to work, the correct configuration to be exact, then i started reading, and then i saw you need a hardware access point, and controlAP just let you control that hardware access point, i don't really see any options about making your own software AP with that prog, so a bit of explaining would be sweet :D

Thx for the info so far tho, atleast there is light at the end of the tunnel again :)

As far as the softAP I have an intel chipset in my laptop so I am using the Sputnik Gateway program on the bottom of the site. The adhoc network can be set up the following way with little trouble.

1. Create a wireless network
2. Change your Wireless IP to static 192.168.0.254 or 192.168.1.254 depending on whether that digit was a 1 or a 0 to begin with.
3. Attempt to connect the wii and the computer to the network simeltaneously if the pc does not auto connect.
4. If the wii gives a message that the SSID failed then I cannot help you and it is something to do with your hardware but if it says the internet failed then check the firewall settings and the such and will attempt to help you best I can.

Hey marq08

Only got a chance to try your solution this morning. A quick summary of what I'm trying to do -

I have a windows xp PC connected to the web. I had previously setup a wireless ad hoc connection between the pc and laptop with no issues. Trying to connect wii to this.

As suggested I changed the Wireless IP of the PC to static 192.168.1.254. Laptop connected to this with no issues. However, the wii successfully locates the SSID but fails the connection test with 51030 - "unable to find an access point. Please confirm SSID".

All firewalls, security settings are disabled.

Any ideas?

incompatible Settings

JetHead said:
(Phil - Sometimes on norton in the Norton Antivirus options thier is Internet Worm Protection then Auto block rules if their is any ip addressess in thier it might be your Wii. just press unblock. I hope that helps!)

I am also having the same problems! Im using a laptop that i connect the internet to then i share it through a ad hoc Wireless lan that i set up. The Wii detects it then when it comes to Internet testing i get the error "Unable to find Access Point. Please confirm your SSID". So what i did is made a statc ip for the Wii then as 11.15.90.50, subnet mask as 255.255.255.240 Gateway as 10.49.17.49 and then i put in my dns. Then it came to the Internet Test then it said Unable to connect to internet. So i have no idea?

I got my Subnet, gateway and dns by putting in command prompt ipconfig/all

Your IP address should be within the range of the gateway unless you are using a router with NAT. Also, by setting it up statically you need to make sure that those ip's are supported in the DHCP server. You should probably use an ip more like 10.149.17.53 instead of 11.15.90.50. The subnet mask allows you to have 12 ip's. 1 for the gateway and 1 for the broadcast ip, leaving you with 10 usable ip address'.

Ad Hoc Prob Solved!!!! (for Windows7 at least)

Connectify is super awesome!!!
I use my laptop and Windows Mobile phone for the internet all the time and was not about to go out and buy a wireless router just to get my Wii Online. Read through this forum and was totally stuck like the rest of everyone. I learned the hard and long way like everyone else here that the Wii ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT SUPPORT AD-HOC, PERIOD!!!
Connectify requires certain NIC chipsets and Windows7 to work. (Did not work with my external Buffalo USB)
Using my internal Atheros Chipset found on my Toshiba Satellite and putting it into AP-mode using Connectify, I finally got my Wii online through my Windows7 Laptop, tethered to my Windows Mobile phone!!!
Wireless is so awesome!!!

Back