ad-hoc network connection

Hmm I'm not sure how you would access a mac filter table on an ad-hoc set up, mine is inbuilt into the routers' internal pages. Maybe Vagrant could help you here, I think he uses an ad-hoc connection.

Each ISP has a recommended MTU setting it's something to do with the maximum transferrable units in each data packet or something, I just left the Wii set to 0 for now, can always tinker with it later. Mine did the 2 big updates pretty quickly with it set to 0. I am on an 8mBit connection, but I'm not sure what speed nintendo feed the updates at.

FYI my PC mtu is set to 1458, though a lot of people recommend 1430. I'm thinking that the Wii's "0" might a kind of automatic mtu speed setting or something.

Last edited:
I'm thinking my modem isn't letting it through. I'm doing a live chat with my DSL company so maybe they can tell me.

UPDATE: God, retarded support told me how to port forward on my modem when I asked how to allow MAC addresses. Anyway, I guess I'll keep trying it for awhile. Thanks anyway. Also, what should I be doing, bridging the connections or sharing my main connection through the wireless device?

Last edited:
When I ran my daughters PC as a wireless device through my PC, I had to share my main connection using ICS. To be honest though I'm not entirely sure.

Ok, so it can still see the wireless device, I choose that device, and it tries to connect, then I get the error "Unable to find Access Point. Please confirm your SSID". I have ICS enabled and all my firewalls are down when I try this. My router has no MAC filter table, and I'm pretty sure I have all the right ports open because I believe the Wii just connects to the internet like normal, and that is allowed on my Modem. Anyway, I really need some more advice as to what to do next. As people give me advice, I'll repost a list of what I have tried, so we can narrow down the problem. I will do that the next time someone gives me advice, cause I don't have time to do that now.

im on the same mission!...any progress? i had my wii pick up the SSID once .. but not since, and its gone from saying "no access point" to "no internet connection" and my wireless adaptor lights are going crazy with no other wireless system anywhere

noob xD

keep up the good work!

To Phill

Do you have any Anti-Virus software on you ad-hoc computer (eg. Norton)? If you do the software may be blocking your Wii's i.p address!

From what I have read the connection needs to be access point not peer to peer, has anyone gotten peer to peer to work with their Wii, if so can you post your settings, also maybe post the windows exe to set up the network then what settings you use for the Wii so people can connect easier.

hi everyone - im back from holiday with a new zest to solve this problem - came back and spent the last hour trying to fix the ad-hoc problem in vain...

Jethead: I do have Norton on the ad-hoc internet connected computer - if it is interfering with the Wii how can I solve this? im on my 2nd computer in my room which doesnt seem to have problems with norton over the wireless network. in fact, none of my computers (incl a laptop) have any probs connecting to the host computer and internet...

i would buy a router but i have an odd broadband modem from BT (damn you BT) that can only connect via USB to a computer - and i dont think normal routers are compatible (if im wrong please correct me and i'll go buy one tommorow)...

but the wii can detect my SSID and the fact that it has WEP - the signal that the WII detects is 4 bars, its just that it cant connecyt - ive tried turning off WEP, and get the same error, so its not that.

im going round the girlfriends tonight who has a 'normal' wireless network/router - so that should show whether my wiis a bit odd, or the fact that ad-hoc networks are just not compatable witht he wii.

To answer part of your question Phill, if you get an ADSL modem/router (about £40 brand new on ebay) it will be the end of your problems. There is a thread on here started by Wii17 that shows some compatible ones. Personally, I use a Netgear DG834G and it works for 2 PC's, a Laptop, 2 DS's and the Wii with no probs at all.

The router connects to your PC using an ethernet patch lead (included) and does away completely with the need for that dodgy BT modem. You just need to know your BT username and password. The router has internal "web pages" for configuration and stays connected all the time it's turned on - even when your PC is turned off.

I presume your PC has a network port (ethernet socket), it would have to be pretty damn ancient not to, but even if it doesn't these things are uber cheap. A few quid at most.

It seems that connecting the Wii to ad-hoc (or even AP) style networks appears to pose a bit of a problem for a lot of people. This router will not only solve your connection problem, but will mean you can use your Wii online without having your "wireless server host PC" turned on.

Make sure you get a "modem router" though, some of them are just "routers" and have no built in DSL modem. The DG834G does.

Last edited:
(Phil - Sometimes on norton in the Norton Antivirus options thier is Internet Worm Protection then Auto block rules if their is any ip addressess in thier it might be your Wii. just press unblock. I hope that helps!)

I am also having the same problems! Im using a laptop that i connect the internet to then i share it through a ad hoc Wireless lan that i set up. The Wii detects it then when it comes to Internet testing i get the error "Unable to find Access Point. Please confirm your SSID". So what i did is made a statc ip for the Wii then as 11.15.90.50, subnet mask as 255.255.255.240 Gateway as 10.49.17.49 and then i put in my dns. Then it came to the Internet Test then it said Unable to connect to internet. So i have no idea?

I got my Subnet, gateway and dns by putting in command prompt ipconfig/all

cheers for the modem router Goots,, im def gonna buy one of those - just wished id known of it earlier!

quick question tho - I thought if if i got the wireless modem router i wouldnt have to plug anything in - i.e. every computer with a wireless card could connect wirelessly to the modem router - so why does the router have to be connected to the computer via an ethernet cable?

cheers

Sorry mate I was thinking of my set up when I said that. I have my main PC hard-wired to the router, and everything else on wireless.

You are of course correct, once set up, the system can be totally cable free (apart from the one between the router and your BT telephone socket).

What I kinda meant was, it doesn't connect via usb at all, but if you were to hard-wire it, you would use an ethernet patch cable. It is always handy to have a patch cable available, because if you have any problems setting your wireless encryption up, you have no way of connecting to your router to change any configs. Using a patch lead of course isn't affected by wireless encryption. Then once you have got everything working, you can disconnect and go totally wireless again.

Sounds complicated, but isn't. I'm just great at explaining things in a really over-complicated way :)

Hi there,

I've been having exactly the same problems as you guys - finally getting my wii to see my wifi card today and thinking I was almost there...

I was going to buy a router at some point, but can't afford one just yet so it's bloody frustrating that it can't connect.

I'll be watching carefully to see if anyone else gets it to work!

Back