Wii and connectors / Screen size

Ihaveworms

WiiChat Member
Nov 12, 2006
Well I have gotten pretty interested into getting a wii. I have a few questions, though. I do not have an HDTV in my house, however, I do have a 20" Widescreen monitor for my computer. It is a VX2025wm. I know they make connectors for the xbox360 that connects to DVI so chances are they would make the same for wii, correct? I am also wondering if the quality would be the same on the screen and if my screen is really big enough. Will my screen be big enough to roll my chair out a little ways and still be able to see the hud on my screen if there is one? If so, how far back should I be and would this 20" monitor be ok?

You don't need an HDTV since the Wii only outputs in EDTV. They don't make DVI cables for the 360 although they make VGA cables if thats what you were thinking of. I doubt that there will be any DVI cables because the Wii probably only outputs in analog.

Whoa, the Wii only does analog? Where did you see that? I thought Progressive Scan had to be digital?

(I'm seriously asking - I'm new to a lot of this HD stuff....)

No it doesn't have to be digital to be progressive scan. The Xbox 360 can't even output in digital and it can do 1080p. I had never seen the DVI cables for the 360 before so that was my mistake. And your not gonna get a "HD experience" on a Wii because the highest it can output is 480p and that is ED not HD.

Thanks, paintballer. I'm thinking of getting an HD Monitor, because I'm stuck with composite video on an old tube TV right now - I think even ED would look good over what I have now.

I might be wrong but I thought that DVI is digital and component is analog so the only way you can go from component to DVI is to get a converter box that costs a few hundred dollars. I thought the adapters can only take it from DVI to component. I'm probably wrong though.

Back