Wii and Large HDTVs. A Sad Combination.

PtonJalken

Ptowwnaagee!
Dec 25, 2006
Canada
Wii Online Code
7740-5070-1158-5119
Has anyone found any good solutions yet on how to make the Wii look even 'Decent' on 30-35+ Widescreen LCD/Plasma HDTVs? Ive lately been playing 'another' console with my 42" TV i got over the summer (I wont specify what console to hopefully prevent a little fanboy bs). And i finally bought the Composite Cables for the Wii for i could try it on my TV, thinking it would look better then SD on my TV with the Wii.

but.. The games still look like pixelated garbage. Zelda looks horrible, and the game i got with the cords does too (Re4). Im very dissapointed and i just want to play the Wii without having to switch back to a shitty old TV to get decent quality. (Ironic eh?)

And to solve any arguements:

1. My Tv is of good quality, on my 'other' console i get PERFECT picture quality on all resolutions and games.

2. This is not a fanboy complaint, for i own two systems and i like both. This issue is real , so dont come here like a fanboy saying "Oh i dont know what you mean, i got a 70" projecter and Zelda looks breathtaking." Because it aint true.

Ive settled down to splitting my screen into double or 4x view screens so the pixels are more condensed and appealing. But its a waste of screen size. I find it so dumb how Nintendo would include 480P but have nothing that even comes close to supporting it correctly.

:/

I had this problem so..................
1. turn off all sharpenning, as this will make jaggies stand out more.
2. If you have a colour select option change it to soft, this seems to make the colours more realilistic.
3. Dont forget to setup the wii for 480p and 16:9!!!

Hmm yeah i tried sharpness off, it definitly improves on taking out jaggies. Ill try changing color theme.

BTW do you ever get like wierd green dots on the screen, i notice i get them in games with fog now. (Like Re4).

Thats the worst part.

Our setup seems terrific, but maybe my expectations are different?

Wii
Generic Component Cables
Sony 50" HD (50WE655)

FWIW, I've done a good reference calibration on the set (Avia), but that shouldn't matter THAT much.

Maybe let your set do the upconversion/scaling? Use the component, but switch the WIi to regular/interlaced - if you've got a fixed res display like a LCD/DLP/Plasma, it's going to convert it to the native res anyway (720p or 1080i/p).

We're having a great time with Zelda and Paper Mario!

~DT

We have a 46 inch LCD HDTV and switching to component cables for the Wii made the picture look significantly better than using the composite cables.

PtonJalken said:
Hmm yeah i tried sharpness off, it definitly improves on taking out jaggies. Ill try changing color theme.

BTW do you ever get like wierd green dots on the screen, i notice i get them in games with fog now. (Like Re4).

Thats the worst part.

sorry I have never noticed green dots b4 an have no idea what could cause them :scared:

Back