Wii Ethernet Kit Revealed

Wii_Rulez

Waluigi The Great
Jun 12, 2006
SC
Wii Online Code
3498-5538-0554-5440
If You Don’t have wireless internet, Don’t worry; Nintendo Wii Ethernet Kit will get you online in no time

Nintendo revealed to CVG today that it will release an Ethernet Kit for Wii, which allows users to connect the console to a standard internet router without wireless support.
It’s undoubtedly good news after concerns that the lack of an Ethernet port on the Wii meant that the console could only connect to the internet via wireless link-up.

For people without a wireless-enabled router, this would mean purchasing a new router or the almost non-existent Nintendo WiFi Connector (that USB dongle thingy). But with the Ethernet Kit available, non-wireless gamers have nothing to worry about.

Those of you who connect your DS to the internet with the Nintendo WiFi Connector can use the same device to connect the Wii. And most wireless routers will also be compatible with the Wii’s built-in WiFi technology.

Source Here

It's just a USB to Ethernet adapter, commonly available at any computer store for about $10.

Nintendo's might be proprietary, but I doubt it.

MetroidZ said:
summarise please. i0n has said this already. thanks tho.

There is not much to summerize, it's pretty straight forword. It's not as long to read either like my other one.

Scream said:
Damn... My wireless router doesn't work very good.

Wonder why they just didn't put a port on the back?

Well, they figured that most people don't have their internet connection in the same room as their TV, so it would be easier to have a wireless connection available.

Second, USB is a universal solution(hence the "U" in USB), thus allowing you to connect any device to it. As I mentioned above, any electronics store carries an adapter that plugs into your USB port and replicates an ethernet port.

So, from Nintendo's standpoint, it is cheaper to include two USB ports in which you can connect anything you'd like to, instead of having to include another controller on the board to handle wired ethernet.

Protius said:
Would you be able to connect your DS to the net through the Wii?

Yes, the Wii acts as an ad-hoc router, enabling you to connect anything with a WiFi connection to it.

However, if you already have a wireless router, I don't see the point of going this route.

teqguy said:
Yes, the Wii acts as an ad-hoc router, enabling you to connect anything with a WiFi connection to it.

However, if you already have a wireless router, I don't see the point of going this route.
I don't have a router :p Hence why I asked. So you can connect anything? So you can basically use that Wii as a gateway?

i was just about to post about this but i realised the source seems very weak it is a not really well known cideo games site and the just say it to them and they just say they annonced to them and i havent read about it any except here

Back